Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I have 6 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How am I supposed to wait that long?!?!?!? I can only hope they come in a day before.

We are getting 7 hens incase we lose one we will still have 6.
We will be getting all brown eggs. We will have 3 buff orpingtons so light brown. We will have 2 barred rocks so medium brown eggs. And then we will have 2 cuckoo marans who lay choclate colored eggs.

Great! I hope your experience is the same. I ordered a barred Plymouth(Black/white chick), a welsummer(chipmunk), a speckled sussex(chipmunk with well defined dark dot on head), a light brahma(light yellow/feathered feet) and a buff orpington(peachy colored). I found Chickensforbackyards has a Facebook page also with videos of the breeds and their chicks. That's how I identified mine once I got them. Hope that helps:)

That's useful to know...have to check out that site. Thanks

We are about to get our first chicks this weekend. I have been thinking about getting into chickens for 2 years now, just kept getting scared off thinking they would be too much work or too hard to keep alive. I have been doing research, and now have 3 friends with chickens...who make it look like no big deal :)

We are starting off small with a mixed flock of 6. I have decided to get one each of...
Ameraucana (supposedly the real deal and not an EE...I don't care either way)
Barred Plymouth Rock
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Salmon Faverolle
Buff Brahma
and a Barnevelder.

They will be for eggs and pets. I am so excited!!!
Katrina

Sounds likes a beautiful flock! :) I was torn about getting Wyandottes, they are such gorgeous birds, but couldn't cram them into my final list! I just got my chicks (Ameraucanas, Dominiques, Cream Legbars, Speckled Sussex, and Buff Orpingtons), and it was so worth the wait!

I ordered from a local, very small-scale heritage hatchery, and the service was superb — very prompt replies to emails, and I was lucky enough to be able to drive out there and meet them, and they were the nicest folks. Unfortunately I'm in Canda, so probably not much use to anyone in this thread.

So glad the wait is over, and hope time flies for you! :)

Sounds likes a beautiful flock!
smile.png
I was torn about getting Wyandottes, they are such gorgeous birds, but couldn't cram them into my final list! I just got my chicks (Ameraucanas, Dominiques, Cream Legbars, Speckled Sussex, and Buff Orpingtons), and it was so worth the wait!

I ordered from a local, very small-scale heritage hatchery, and the service was superb — very prompt replies to emails, and I was lucky enough to be able to drive out there and meet them, and they were the nicest folks. Unfortunately I'm in Canda, so probably not much use to anyone in this thread.

So glad the wait is over, and hope time flies for you!
smile.png
Sounds like fun and good service! How are the chicks?

Sounds like fun and good service!   How are the chicks?

They're doing great, thanks - photo is a Buff Orpington and a Dominique sleeping in a food dish :D One little guy (a different Orp) had a bent toe, and pasty butt , and is the smallest of the gang by a long way, but he's coming in and nice and active — hoping he'll be ok and catch up... Well, hoping *she'll* be okay, lol :)

Only thing I'm bummed about is that she doesn't offer vaccination, and I didn't think it would be a problem, but I haven't been able to find any local vets who do, so far (have called 6) and I think it's probably too late now, at 72 hours+ ... I'd really rather have had them vaccinated :/

(If anyone else in Ontario knows someone, let me know! :)

Last edited:
My hatch date is wednesday.. the brooder is set up and i'm so excited! I've been anticipating these babies for a long time! Last year I order 30 from Murray McMurray and had all 36 make it past 6 weeks (none lost from illness but my a few strays and hawks/foxes took out a few) I ordered all pullets and got 5 freebie cockrels (red sexlinked) and a freebie rarest of rare.. the rarest of rare ended up being a egyptian fayoumis cockrel which was fine because i had a pullet in my order. I've heard horror stories about the post office. I always call the week before to let them know i'm getting a shipment in and to expect me knocking on the door at 7 am to pick them up.

This time i'm getting 55 from Ideal Poultry:
Saipan Jungle fowl pullets and cockerels
Dark and Red laced Cornish pullets and cockerels
Malay pullets and cockerels
Spangled Russian Orloffs pullets and cockerels
Barred rocks all pullets
Ameraucana all pullets
Cornish Rocks 5 straight run (for meat)

I ordered dark cornish and barred rocks to do the cornish rock thing too.. i've heard the dark ones are a little slower to grow but you get better backyard results.. plus they'll be "sex linked" (not that it matters for meat birds lol)

I couldn't take the wait time any longer, brought home 5 EE from Big R today. They are so darn cute, I'll get better pictures later.

I resisted the cute little chicks at the feed store today. Hard to walk away from marans and ee. DH helped me to resist and reminded me I have a lot of chicks coming in 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom