anyone in 4-h or kids in it

gaited horse

Merry Christmas!
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Fernley, NV
I am in, dog hog, horse and shooting sports. next year I want to do all that and goat, poultry, rabbit and beef steer. what do you/ your kids do in 4-h

Last edited:
I showed horses when I was in 4-H, but my girls have shown dogs, lambs, turkeys, fancy poultry, ducks and broilers. You have quite a list of projects yourself. My only recomendation is if you go to a county fair, make sure your projects won't be showing on the same day. It can be a hassle. My daughter was showing her dog and poulty at the same time. She had to dress nice for showing the dog and wear a white shirt and jeans for the poulty. She was running back and forth between barns waiting for her class. She would wear a skirt for the dog show and pull the legs of her pants up so they wouldn't show. Then run back to the poulty barn and take the skirt off. She would do this for hours because she showed in many classes. Good luck with your projects. I know you will like all of them. 4-H has been a lot of fun.
wee.gif

I did not see shooting sports as an option in our county. Could you tell me about it? Is it archery too?
My coming 13 yr old just found a group and is now in 4-H.
Chickens! Dog, horse cooking, electric, and I am sure I forgot some. 13 projects/books I think.
Our county is so small they do not even have any livestock shows. We will have to go to a neighboring county for that.

Last edited:
I am the Community leader for a very small 4-H group in my area we have a very small number of total projects, small animals(pygmy goats, guinea pigs, chickens and rabbits), Dogs, Large animal(inlcuding beef and pigs), photography and sheep.

When I was in 4-H as a kid I showed goats, guinea pigs, sheep(a few times), pigs(once) and did home arts stuff like floral and cooking.

My two kids are clover buds. they do what they can. today we are going to a baking contest. Phoebe my 8 year old made iced sugar cookies and my 6 year old Carter made his good for you lasagna. he makes the BEST lasagna EVER!! that is his special meal, he always makes it! anyway they are really entering for the experience rather than winning soemthing cause they are clover buds. around here clover buds cant do a market project or anythign they could win a money prize from! stupid if you ask me but I keep telling my kids that life is pretty crappy sometimes and the decisions others make sometime affect you but you just have to learn to deal with it and push on! they still get some stuff to do so they seem fairly happy with 4-H and I am learning just as much as they are so I like it too!!

farrier! :

I did not see shooting sports as an option in our county. Could you tell me about it? Is it archery too?
My coming 13 yr old just found a group and is now in 4-H.
Chickens! Dog, horse cooking, electric, and I am sure I forgot some. 13 projects/books I think.
Our county is so small they do not even have any livestock shows. We will have to go to a neighboring county for that.

I have no idea we have are first shooting sports meeting on the 25​

I am in 4-h and LOVE it, this year will be my second year. Last year I just did chickens, this year I am doing poultry and a market lamb. I highly recommend it to everyone.

I am a 4-H program assistant. My oldest is in 4-H, but she doesn't show anything. She basically sticks to things done in her class, and has done competitions like District Project Achievement, Cotton Boll, and Photography contests. Right now we are getting ready for poultry judging (not a show). She doesn't want to, but I'm the coach so she kind of has to.

My 8 year old is waiting for next year to be able to join. In Georgia you have to be 9, it varies by state what is the minimum age. Her and my 4 year old are already talking about showing pigs. There aren't any dog or rabbit or chicken programs for showing in Georgia, although they are looking into rabbits once the budget can handle it. My oldest would do those shows, but she isn't interested in the livestock show options we have right now.

Back
Top Bottom