anyone in 4-h or kids in it

I show: Poultry, Rabbits, Dairy goats, and Market sheep. I also do crochet, horticulture, and a lot more!I am one of the top 4 poultry showmen of my age group in the state!I am also Grand Champion Showman for my county in dairy goats.
Market steers: expensive and messy. That's my opinion any way. You also have to buy a lot of equipment for showing, although if you join an established club you can borrow some of it.
Edited to answer previous question:
Depends on what you consider "baby". You can show dairy goats as: doelings, dry yearlings, milking does, mother & daughter, and herd.To show a doeling, they must be under a year and weaned. The rest of the categories are fairly obvious.
Baby sheep: I'm pretty sure that the youngest sheep category is Market lamb. So only if you want them to go away and be eaten. You can she in the breeding class, but only animals that can breed/have bred. Other categories: Breeding (meat) Ewe/ram, Breeding(fiber), Market. If you want to show, say, a fiber wether, then you show the fleece, not the sheep. At least in my county.
Pigs: I'm pretty sure you can only do Market and maybe Breeding. I think the pig has to be breeding age for breeding though.

Last edited:
I think Clover Buds are the youngest tier of 4-H Members. We don't call them that, we just call them Primaries, ages 6-2nd grade. Then there are the 3rd-5th grades which are Juniors, 6th-8th grade are Intermediates and 9th-12th grade are Seniors.

I'm in my last year of 4-h... Sadly aged out. But the good news I already got another job... I'm probably going to become a leader of the club
big_smile.png
I can't wait till the 400 page leaders booklet
roll.png

this is my 7th year in 4-H (not counting cloverbud, otherwise it would be like 10th or 11th). i have done rabbits, dog, cooking, sewing, creative arts, and leadership. this year (as for the past few years) i am doing goats and chickens. 4-H has always been a huge part of my life and i love it. it isn't always easy (like how the goat comittee concentrates almost completely on market and pygmys and leaves dairy in the dust
he.gif
) but i couldnt imagine a summer without it. even the the one year that we took a break for monetary purposes we were up there two or three days helping friends and whatnot.

Quote:
Can you show baby sheep (lamb), goats, or pigs?

I would love to raise them to show or etc.

Yep, you just have to get them before the date your county sets for you. With the county I live in, I have to own my sheep, rabbits, dairy goats, and poultry before May 15th. But it changes for every county. Call your county 4-H office, and they can give you all the information you need. They will also tell you the local clubs - who will teach you how to show, and prepare for showing. You will also learn lots of info from your club.

I wish you the best of luck!

Also - if any of you are wanting to join for this year be aware that the cut off date might have passed or is coming up quickly. Our add/drop date is April 1st. Plus our kids have to be a member in good standing to show at the fair - which means you are suppossed to attend 6 meetings and do a community service project - maybe they wave that for first years? I dunno.
idunno.gif

I am also in 4-H I show, FANCY Chickens (Serama,Polish,Silkies,Cochin,Japanese,Show Quality Barred Rocks, ect.,ect.,ect.) Fancy Pigeons,Ducks, Geese, Quail, and Pheasant and Turkeys soon! I also do, Rabbits,Pocket Pets, Archery, Sewing, Outdoor Adventures,Photography, and Cooking!!! And I would like to do Market Lambs and Swine!!! Oh and I also won Grand Champion showmanship at the WIF and placed 4th in Junior/Novice
Round Robin ( I think) this is my Second year in 4-H. I am an Intermediate this year......

Back
Top Bottom