Anyone in East Texas?

xrayblink

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2022
Hi there,
I'm new to the East Texas area. I am outside of Marshall near the Louisiana border. I bought a 10 acre piece of property with a nice house, pond, shop, and outbuildings. I plan to raise miniature cattle and other animals. So far, I've started with chickens. I have two dogs, a Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd and 3 cats.

I have a new flock since moving here last spring. I started that flock with 16 and am down to 12 now. I've seen issues here that I never saw before. I was previously in the Pacific Northwest. New area, new issues. I have breeds that I've not kept before as well. I've been raising chickens for about a decade. I currently have Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, and several unknown breeds.

I love watching my chickens as they are so entertaining. I love sharing the eggs with folks. I have many other hobbies such as hunting, fishing, gardening, and cooking. Looking forward to meeting some folks in here.

Thanks!

Welcome!
I'm over in the Houston area.
What kind of issues are you seeing?
Where did your birds come from?
3 of them just dropped dead with no signs of reason.
Lately, I am seeing black swollen spots on some of their waddles. I'm treating them currently with VetRx and Corid (?) to eliminate possible issues. They normally get electrolytes in their water.

Lately, I am seeing black swollen spots on some of their waddles. I'm treating them currently with VetRx and Corid (?) to eliminate possible issues. They normally get electrolytes in their water.
I purchased them from a couple places... Tractor Supply and from a local feed store.

Can you get a couple of pictures of these black swollen spots?
It may be fowl pox.
Neither Corid or Vetrx will cure fowl pox. It just has to run its course.

Dropping dead could be from a number of things... The first that comes to mind is fatty liver disease which kills extremely quick.
What exactly do you feed your birds?

Did you happen to notice if any of the birds had trouble walking before they drop dead?

Do you happen to know the difference between a Rhode Island red and a production red bird? I find that a lot of people think they have Rhode Island reds but what they actually have are production birds that don't necessarily live very long to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom