Anyone in Ireland?

Hello and welcome to byc
1f389.png
1f389.png
1f38a.png
1f38a.png
1f414.png

I sell hatching eggs, eating eggs and hens when I have extra after hatching, to be honest that just covers feeding and bedding with a small profit at the end.

I also have a business project I am doing for school and I have been very successful. I wrote two different books and I sell them, I have won a national award for them. thechookbooks.com

Hi folks. I just wanted to let you know that there is an article in the current issue of Practical Poultry on the Poultry Keepers Club of Ireland.

Hi Broodyhen 2

I expect if I really looked at it, it would be cheaper for me to buy my eggs as what we get just about cope with in house demand so no, I don't. Hubby is back next week and will be home based from then on so we might have to look at increasing our current flock of two. Will have to think (and act!) on improving an area for them all as come blackberry season I'll be out carrying them back from down the lane again other wise and calling them out of neighbour's garden. They said they didn't mind but it got sort of embarrassing!

Hey guys
Im all the way down in Kerry
Just wondering how did you get your hens

Done deal

Where does anyone find anything these days :)

Found a man who raises them in Ballingarry, was very nice. Had maybe 200 pullets for sale, very happy to talk about them and what they needed etc. Paid 15 yoyo each for 3 birds. I have no idea if that is a fair price or not. Also 3 ducklings at 5 each but there was a massacre shortly after I got them home :(

Last edited:
HI All! I am curious what breeds of chickens people are breeding in Ireland and how popular chicken keeping is...which lead me to finding this thread. I wanted to drop in, say hello and chat with a few of you from there.
My better half just left for Clonmel (work trip) for a week and we hope to visit sometime soon with him. Also, just lightly were talking about a future move for work over there and were wondering about all the schematics including chicken keeping.
I have an Amber Star, a Sussex and a beautiful impulse buy Bluebell. I am not aware of any specific Irish breeds though I am sure there must have been in the past.

I live not far from Clonmel and would hazard a guess that his work is pharmacological or medical devices, the two major employers.

In my area chicken keeping is not uncommon but seems to be heavily weighted towards elderly farming ladies who are only too happy to have a young wan call in for some advice. I am not aware of any in the nearest town not saying it doesn't happen its just not very common.

As for keeping them I am not aware of any restrictions against them in the county. If living on a housing estate you may find that space is a constraint as gardens can be quiet small and if
they went up in the last 15 years the houses quiet tightly spaced. Getting them shouldn't be a problem though you may have to drive a bit (no more than an hour and almost certainly far less) i sourced mine from an irish classifieds website but you can sometimes also buy chickens at local cattle marts. As for caring for them feed is widely available from agricultural co ops (one in almost every town and often small depos in villages) I use an irish brand called red mills for about a 10 euro a bag or grain if you prefer. Winters are mild so water and insulation are less of a problem. Dogs, foxes and mink are the major predators but the last two are nocturnal so a run and secure coop should be enough.

Finding a vet with good experience on chickens may be hard and you may have to call around. Chickens are not a priority for veterinary calls not when their are cows or sheep competing for attention. I have been warned that if I do take a bird to the vet to carefully research whatever is given as some antibiotics and injections that maybe given may render the eggs unsafe to eat.

Ready built coops are available from the internet they can be expensive many farms use an out house or similar building. I use a converted children's playhouse which would otherwise be idle.

Back
Top Bottom