Anyone in SW PA interested in an order from Countryside Naturals?

Hi Jim--The feed from Countryside is organic non-soy based feed. It is also supplemented with Fertrell's Nutri-Balancer. Their website lists the ingredients (and the non-soy debate which I was not aware of!). I am not an organic purist but I did like the fact it had the Nutri-Balancer in it. I haven't looked into the Buckeye Feed but let me know what you think when you compare the two.

By the way, do you know of any poultry processors in the area? I am having a hard time finding ANYONE to process chickens. In fact, if I cannot find anyone by the end of March I am going to cancel my meat chick order.

Kelly

Hi Kelly and Jim,
I too use Buckeye feed. I get it at the hardware store in Herminie. The layers seem to like it, but I get lots of waste with it on the floor. This was one of the better feed I felt, in this area. I wasnt to pleased with Agway or Tractor Supply and some folks from Somerset recommend Buckeye.

I heard there is a farm in Mt Pleasant that went organic and I want to stop and see if they grow their own grain.

I have my meat chickens processed in Connellsville. If you need the info let me know and Iwill be glad to tell you.

Lori

Hi Lori--Yes please tell me who you use for processing. The only one I heard of was Sturgins (Sturgis) up north of me (and I heard bad things about them--yes I realize it is a slaughterhouse but I really don't want cigarette ashes in my meat).

Connellsville wouldn't be that bad of a ride for me or the chickens. I also wouldn't mind learning how to process them myself; I just don't want to do it for the first time without the basic proper setup and without an experienced person there to help me.

I also remember trying to look for Buckeye feed for my ducks but had no luck finding it here on the NW side of Pittburgh.

Thank You!

Kelly

Lori--The broiler feed is about $20/bag. You can see my previous message for the shipping rates.

There is also Curly Tail farm in OH about 3 1/2 hours from me. They use Fertrell's as well and the feed costs about 1/2 of what Countryside costs. I don't think they ship.

Kelly

Quote:
Hey Kelly, i'll look into those differences. Something is amiss i think with my layers,(maybe), i'm very new at this so maybe i'm wrong, if not, possibly my feed(?).
It could very well be thier still young age and or the weather. ?
As far as a processor, i never have used one and probably wouldn't, i'd do the birds myself. Nothin to it actually if yer after whole birds. Allthough, i'd most likely skin most o' mine. Even still, aint nothin to gutin and pluckin a bird with some warm water and PATIENCE.
Here is some help on Home Processing if yer interested.
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chlinks.html#chicpix

I emailed Curly Tails Farm and never got a response for pricing. Jim are you still paying $12 a bag for feed? Where I get it they charged me 14.75 a bag on Wed.

Kelly f you are intereted on the people that process the birds, PM me and I will give you the info. They will let you stay but they have a setup that the average farmer wouldnt have.

Kelly f you are intereted on the people that process the birds, PM me and I will give you the info. They will let you stay but they have a setup that the average farmer wouldnt have.

Hi Lori--Wondering if you received my PMs?

Thanks,

Kelly​

Hi Lori--Beth Snavely of Curl Tail called me this evening with pricing for broiler feed. It is $31/100 pounds (not 50 pounds). So that is less than1/2 the price of Countryside Naturals strictly for the feed. They do not ship and need a week lead time--no minimum order. It is organic feed and I have spoken to a woman in my area that has had a good experience with their feed. (She uses it for her layers and raised 400 meat birds last year).

Figuring in the cost of a tank of gas, I'd be saving about $70 for 400 pounds of feed compared to Countryside Naturals. There is also the "cost" of 8 hours on the road (besides the gas) but it could be a fun adventure. Really for the $70 it is a toss up at to which way I am leaning to order.

If you are at all interested in either an order with Countryside Naturals or Curly Tail let me know. I need to make a decision by the third week or so of this month.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Kelly

Well here I am a year later and a year more experienced--for the better I hope.

Anyway I am going to do meat birds again in April and want to see if anyone out there within a drive of the Pittsburgh area might want to go in on an order for feed at Countryside Naturals? They have revamped their website and it is great! They have forum too where you can post questions and also see who is in your area.

Hope to hear from someone!

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom