1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone in WV???

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by wvtoliver, Jul 10, 2007.

1. wvtoliver

wvtoliver Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    West Virginia
    Haven't been on here in a very long time but was wondering if there are any other WV folks here. I live between Huntington and Charleston WV. Close to the KY< OH area.

Looking for other chicken folks to chat with. I am now down to 5 chickens. Thanks to various varmits on our farm--- that we know of- 3 bobcats which were eliminated last summer. (one was in the chicken house when found) scared the husband pretty bad. lots of raccoons, possums, and 1 coyote (that was also eliminated) came out about 20 yards from the front door. Boy they are scary looking animals. I had an original flock of 42 and had kept adding on. Even building another coop and run just for silkies. (had about 26 silkies that disappeared due to predators, they only left a few feathers. Still not sure how or what got them.

Now since we are down to 5 my husband has asked that I not get anymore until I finish Nursing school in 2008. So I guess the spring of 2009 I will add to my 5 little hens.

Look forward to getting to chat with the folks on this board. I have learned alot on here. And read some great info and stories.

I even got eggs last years from KY silkies that hatched out some of the most beautiful birds. I think I got 18 chicks out of 22 eggs.
    That was thanks to this board.

Tracy in WV

1 person likes this.
  2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Hi Tracy! I'm near Beckley. Have friends in Huntington.

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Hi, I'm in Mercer county. About 2 miles from the VA border.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  4. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Hi! I'm in Buckhannon. Sorry about all of your losses...but we can relate. We seem to be playing "defense" every day when it comes to fox, coyote, hawks, etc. So far, we have been on the winning team.[​IMG] Our flock of 45 consists of Buff Orp., Blk. 'Lorps, EE'ers, RRI, Barred Rock, White Rock, Minorcas, Wh. Leghorns, and several X's that we hatched. Have had chickens for over a year. Had heard that they were "addictive" but never could have believed to what extent! Even my DH is wanting more![​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Hey Mammabird...I'm near Elkins in Randolph County.....Glad to find someone close!...lol...

Tuffoldhen

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  6. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Hey Tuffoldhen! Elkins is only 35 miles or so from where I am. What kind of birds do you have?

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I know!!...lol...I go to Buckhannon quite often, have family there...I have Buff Orps..Black/Blue/Splash Orps and Light Brahmas....nice to meet ya...

Tuff

8. plester01

plester01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    I am not from WV but my husband was born and raised in a small town called Roderfield. Not much to see, one gas station, one grocery store, one fast food joint, ect. I visited there once. It is a beautiful place to visit but sorry I would not want to live there. (that town anyway, mabey a different town).[​IMG]

9. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    I'm close to WV in MD

10. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I'm in Ft. Ashby, Wv....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by