Anyone in WV???

That is a bad thing with the swaps..there are some who will tell you anything just to make a dollar! If you guys ever have a question about a particular breed this is the place to find answers...welcome and happy learning!

I had to PUT a couple of my hens on the roost a couple times. They didn't seem to want to get up there, the others were a litjle noisy in protests when I did but there was minimal feuding about it. Now they all roost in certain places only! My issue is the RIR cockerel I have and his two favorite pullets seem t want t roost on my nesting boxes. Hence in th morning they are "full" of poo! I am using "crates" on a shelf area added on to the coop and enclosed w plywood picture shows crates that were hung in wall b4 renovation to add a box area. The hens seem t all use one box and NEVER the two boxes on lower level
my question is: how can I stop them from roosting on the sides of the boxes? And why will they not use the bottom shelf boxes?

I had to PUT a couple of my hens on the roost a couple times. They didn't seem to want to get up there, the others were a litjle noisy in protests when I did but there was minimal feuding about it. Now they all roost in certain places only! My issue is the RIR cockerel I have and his two favorite pullets seem t want t roost on my nesting boxes. Hence in th morning they are "full" of poo! I am using "crates" on a shelf area added on to the coop and enclosed w plywood picture shows crates that were hung in wall b4 renovation to add a box area. The hens seem t all use one box and NEVER the two boxes on lower level my question is: how can I stop them from roosting on the sides of the boxes? And why will they not use the bottom shelf boxes?

Your roosts need to be higher than the nests as they will roost in the highest point in the coop if they can. Increase roosts space to allow for the pecking order and for mounting and dismounting, then either raise the roosts or lower the boxes. You could even change the design of your coop by placing your nest boxes outside the coop, with only the entrances set into the wall...that would free up your floor space and also eliminate the crate edges for roosting...but you'll still have to have the roosts higher than the nest box location.

When I renovated, the shelving unit was built on the outside with entrances inside I also added three new perches. There is ample roosting now. I still have three pullets that won't "roost". I just got them on th 16th so the new ones are being hen pecked pretty bad. The older ones won't even let th new girls out of th coop into the run. Guess the pecking order has bn established very firmly!!!

Back
Top Bottom