Anyone in WV???

Good morning!
I'm totally new to backyard chickens! I've got a lot of great info from here and just joined. Were in the middle of WV and are new to raising chickens. Sadly, my husband woke this morning to our 3 chickens dead on the creek bank. :(. Something tore the bottom of the nesting box out. We think a coon or even coyote as both have been seen in our yard before. We ordered our chickens from a local southern states when they had pullets. Does anybody know where we can get laying hens locally? We're going to pick up the traders guide later today to check it. Our little girl will be so upset that her chickees are gone. :(. Thanks!
Megan

Hi Megan and welcome! I'm so sorry that happened to you.
Do you have any Tractor Supply stores near you? They are hosting monthly swap meets and I've seen all ages at those I've been to. If you're on Facebook there are a lot of livestock buy/sell/trade pages for West Virginia. You have to hunt to find posts for your area but I found a breeder for something I wanted that way.

Good morning!
I'm totally new to backyard chickens! I've got a lot of great info from here and just joined. Were in the middle of WV and are new to raising chickens. Sadly, my husband woke this morning to our 3 chickens dead on the creek bank. :(. Something tore the bottom of the nesting box out. We think a coon or even coyote as both have been seen in our yard before. We ordered our chickens from a local southern states when they had pullets. Does anybody know where we can get laying hens locally? We're going to pick up the traders guide later today to check it. Our little girl will be so upset that her chickees are gone. :(. Thanks!
Megan

Megan
So sorry for your loss! It never gets easier to lose your birds! It's almost like losing a forever pet.
Where are you located? Is there a particular breed of birds you are looking for? Can u or do you want to have roosters? I can keep an eye out for some good birds for you. There's a lady about 10 mi from me that had speckled Sussex and Barred Rocks she sells them. I just picked up a couple pullets from her. They are very sweet little girls!

I forget where you are @Minminme, wasn't it near Charleston? A lady in Tornado raises Barred Rocks, Delawares if I'm not mistaken, Black Copper Marans and some others. Happy Hen 10 page on Facebook.

Good morning!
I'm totally new to backyard chickens! I've got a lot of great info from here and just joined. Were in the middle of WV and are new to raising chickens. Sadly, my husband woke this morning to our 3 chickens dead on the creek bank.
sad.png
. Something tore the bottom of the nesting box out. We think a coon or even coyote as both have been seen in our yard before. We ordered our chickens from a local southern states when they had pullets. Does anybody know where we can get laying hens locally? We're going to pick up the traders guide later today to check it. Our little girl will be so upset that her chickees are gone.
sad.png
. Thanks!
Megan

I have 20 chicks, mix between Road Island Reds and Golden Comets, they were hatched on June 6 of this year. I am located in Leon WV, near Ripley, about an hour north of Charleston. You are welcome to them if you want them, no charge, there are a few roos in there but I think they are mostly hens.

Bethel: I am in West Union. Doddridge County ( on Rt 50 nearly half way between Clarksburg and Parkersburg). The Lady I was referring to in my previous post is near Alma WV I believe. ( I met her half way so not sure of EXACT location).

Bethel:  I am in West Union. Doddridge County ( on Rt 50 nearly half way between Clarksburg and Parkersburg). The Lady I was referring to in my previous post is near Alma WV I believe.  ( I met her half way so not sure of EXACT location).

Ok, thank you! My memory cannot be trusted. Lol You're about two hours from me.

I'm posting for a friend of mine. I recently gave her three two month old hens to add to her existing flock of three month old hens and two roosters. She has tried to introduce the new hens to the flock but the two roosters immediately attack the newbies. She tried putting them in an adjacent pen for a while to let them get used to one another with no luck. Any advice?

I'm posting for a friend of mine. I recently gave her three two month old hens to add to her existing flock of three month old hens and two roosters. She has tried to introduce the new hens to the flock but the two roosters immediately attack the newbies. She tried putting them in an adjacent pen for a while to let them get used to one another with no luck. Any advice?

I'd keep them in separate pens, within eyesight (or even in the same pen with a fence between them) for a good 1-2 weeks. After that, I'd recommend keeping them penned separately, but free range them for a few hours a day together (and supervised) for another 2-4 weeks. If the old birds attack the new; don't intervene unless the new ones get cornered and cannot get away or blood is drawn. There is going to be some chasing and pecking, but that's normal and often unavoidable with chickens. The new birds are interrupting an established pecking order and need to find their places in the flock. You just need to let it be as gradual a process as possible. Don't force it, and be sure they all have plenty of space.

Back
Top Bottom