Anyone in WV???

Hey guys! Thought it worth throwing this on here, someone on this Facebook page found a Muscovy duck that is wandering around their neighborhood (Saint Albans, Kanawha County) and seems hurt. If anyone knows the owner or would be able to help the guy, here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lostandfoundpetsinwv/

If the thread gets bumped down the page, just use the "search this group" bar and type "Muscovy".

Hi all,

I've been lurking in backyardchickens, mypetchicken, and thechickenchick forums for nearly a year now and decided it was finally time to say hello. I've had so many questions and come close to posting many times, but have so far been able to find the information I needed and go from there.

I live inside city limits of South Charleston, WV. There are city codes that prevent my chicken fever from getting out of control (quite a good thing). No roosters and only a max of 10 girls. I'm also restricted by my available yard space of about 4000sf. I think I may be the only person in my zip code with chickens. I got my baby chicks in the mail from mypetchicken in May of 2014. Wow, what a ride it has been learning about, learning from, and tending to these little critters. From the cute and cuddly arrival to the now occasional velociraptor behavior. They have kept me on my toes since day one. I still have all 5 of my original girls. A Delaware, Australorp, Welsummer, Easter Egger, and Silver Laced Wyandott. All good layers, good in winter climates, and docile.

When I have a few minutes again, I'll post some pics of my girls and their diy coop that I spent way more time, money, hammered fingers, and planning on than I ever thought I would. Anywho, just saying hello and introducing myself to my local/semilocal chicken parent peoples.

Take care,
April

Hi all,

I've been lurking in backyardchickens, mypetchicken, and thechickenchick forums for nearly a year now and decided it was finally time to say hello.  I've had so many questions and come close to posting many times, but have so far been able to find the information I needed and go from there.  

I live inside city limits of South Charleston, WV. There are city codes that prevent my chicken fever from getting out of control (quite a good thing). No roosters and only a max of 10 girls. I'm also restricted by my available yard space of about 4000sf.  I think I may be the only person in my zip code with chickens.  I got my baby chicks in the mail from mypetchicken in May of 2014. Wow, what a ride it has been learning about, learning from, and tending to these little critters. From the cute and cuddly arrival to the now occasional velociraptor behavior. They have kept me on my toes since day one. I still have all 5 of my original girls. A Delaware, Australorp, Welsummer, Easter Egger, and Silver Laced Wyandott. All good layers, good in winter climates, and docile.

When I have a few minutes again, I'll post some pics of my girls and their diy coop that I spent way more time, money, hammered fingers, and planning on than I ever thought I would. Anywho, just saying hello and introducing myself to my local/semilocal chicken parent peoples. 

Take care, 
April
Hi April. Welcome to BYC. I'm kinda local I'm in Calhoun county(about an hour from Charleston). So neat u have them in the city. I'm in the sticks and have 16 hens (3 New Hampshires 6 red comets 5 buff Orpingtons and 2 bym) 1 roo a barred rock and 1 bym (not sure the sex yet)I just hatched for the NYD HAL.

Last edited:
RginaC

I am not a "cat person", but the cat in your profile pic is quite stunning!
Welcome to the forum! Have you decided what breed (s) of chickens you will focus on?

I am in the Parkersburg, WV area. I have project Americauna/Easter Eggers, Silkies, and have added a new love... Belgian Mille Fleur D'Uccles. I always thought I would only ever have large breed chickens, but I am loving them all.

Keep us posted and enjoy!

RginaC

Welcome to the forum! Have you decided what breed (s) of chickens you will focus on?

I am in the Parkersburg, WV area. I have project Americauna/Easter Eggers, Silkies, and have added a new love... Belgian Mille Fleur D'Uccles. I always thought I would only ever have large breed chickens, but I am loving them all.

Glad you are liking those Mille Fluer Duccles, Selah, I should have more eggs coming hopefully sometime next month. Not laying yet but it shouldnt be long.

I'm new to posting (been visiting since September) I'm in Morgantown, the outskirts I should say, and I just got my first chickens in Sept. I'm really enjoying them, but a bit worried that 3 out of the 7 turned out to be Roos.
Hoping they can live peacefully.

I'm new to posting (been visiting since September) I'm in Morgantown, the outskirts I should say, and I just got my first chickens in Sept. I'm really enjoying them, but a bit worried that 3 out of the 7 turned out to be Roos.

Unfortunately, that many roos will ride the feathers and hide right off your hens and cause them much stress. Even one young rooster to 4 hens will do the same. To avoid that trauma and stress on your hens you might consider either getting rid of all but one rooster and adding more hens or just getting rid of all the roosters and calling it a day.

Good luck with all those roos lol! Our last hatch 3/3 were boys, so I have very loud 1 month old house chickens at the moment, ugh! Im in Morgantown as well, not so much "outskirts", but I have very friendly neighbors who like free fresh eggs, so not too worried ;)
Welcome!

RginaC

I'm new to this -but bought a rcom20 max -and am in the process of hatching my first chicks today- have one already hatched
1f600.png
--one breaking through -- 2 more in limbo.

Will be hatching English Orpingtons when I get my next eggs- waiting on their hens to start laying again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom