Anyone keep a heat lamp in the coop during the winter?

Toothpick

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2016
TN
I’m considering it this year. It doesn’t get really cold here in Middle TN during the winter but it does get below freezing. I’m considering hanging the heat lamp in the middle of the coop and moving the water bucket in there so maybe it won’t freeze overnight. If I do I will only turn the heat lamp on overnight because during the day it is typically above freezing.

Will the red light from the heat lamp keep the chickens up all night?

My coop is a 8x10 storage shed. So I can hang the heat lamp high in the “rafters” out of reach.

I mainly don't want the water to freeze. It was a pain last year changing the water just about every day. I don't want to shell out the $ for a water heater.

Heating an 8 X 10 building to keep the water from freezing may cost more in the long run than getting a heated waterer. I use a heated dog bowl that costs under $20.
dog bowl.jpg

I mainly don't want the water to freeze. It was a pain last year changing the water just about every day. I don't want to shell out the $ for a water heater.
For under $20 you get one of these and put it into your water, you can also buy a thermo cube that will turn on at 35° and turn off at 45°
KIMG0107.jpg
KIMG0136.jpg
KIMG0137.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 5 gal bucket with horizontal nipples. This would work in that?
I am using it in a 3.5 gal waterer from TSC. You could go with the 100 watt one. The one in the picture has an adjustable temperature setting which I believe for what we are using it for is useless. I would go with the fixed temp one (I think 78°). They are cheaper. I will be ordering a fixed temp one as a backup just in case the one I am currently using craps out.

We go over this every year. Heating coops, especially with lamps, is a huge fire risk and completely unnecessary in most cases.

You need good, high ventilation. You need clean bedding. You need a comfortable roost where they can settle over their feet. You need liquid water preferably OUTSIDE the coop. That's really all you need. Chickens do fine in subzero temperatures provided they are dry and not in a draft on the roost.

I suggest a heated waterer or a heated bowl outside the coop, and no heat lamp.

If you do decide you really want to hang a lamp, make sure you hang it securely, I would suggest on a chain. You're still going to be increasing the humidity in your coop by putting a bucket of water in there, and that raises the chance of frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom