Anyone keep a heat lamp in the coop during the winter?

I struggled with this last year and how scary it is to put a heat lamp in plus as others mentioned it keeps them up.

For the water I bought two of the heated dog bowls. I just carry a gallon water jug out with me to fill them.

I broke down this year and bought a Sweeterheater. It is awesome and no worrying about the girls dying in a fire.

I did it because we had some minor frost bite on combs and it can get cold in Indiana.

Good luck with your choice! I know heat lamps are an easy choice but the consequences are just not worth it.

That 50 watt model is good to heat 20 gallons so, yes. But for safety it is critical that the aquarium heater is ALWAYS submerged in water. It should be checked frequently.
Yes the heater is rated for up to 20gal. In an aquarium setting. For example most aquariums are in a house/building that is roughly 70° degrees. So your only looking to increase water temp 8-10° degrees over surrounding temp. For what you plan on using it for I would really go with a 100watt-150watt model for 5gallons.
You may be looking at increasing water to above freezing when it's 0° degrees out.

Back
Top Bottom