Anyone keep bees in addition to their birds?

PirateShipp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 23, 2015
So before we bought our property I had started looking into keeping bees. Now that we have a bigger place out of the city, and I was gifted some chickens, we have birds. Still no bees. I know the birds are great at keeping bugs and pests down.
If I get a hive, will the chickens just hang out there like an all you can eat buffet?
hu.gif

we have two hives we started in March. We extracted 40 pounds in September. With the weather we are having this winter, I am praying they survive. Our hens ignore the bees. They are a fascinating creature and enjoy having them. We will be splitting our big hive and possible the newer one this spring.

So what I have planned so far is an all medium setup from Kelley Bees. Thought of starting standardized after reading the weight that comes along with it. Also for easier ordering in the future.

I was going to order my bees from there as well but they have since sold out. Has anyone ordered from Spille Honey before? Was going to go with the 3lb Italians with marked Queen

Hi, I always recommend a Nucleus colony. It is a full working hive with all stages of hive underway (Eggs, larve, etc etc) We have deeps as our initial base then add mediums as they fill. Hope this helps. Did you get one? Sorry this is so late, been very busy.

My hens ignore our hives. However, guinea hens would feast all day there....so it depends on who's in your flock.
Even still, I'd make sure the hens couldn't get near the hives - some lightweight removable fencing would do the trick.

Good to know! We don't have guineas but do currently have 5 chickens.
So basically just a mini cage around the hive that I could move when I need to access the hive?
Seems easy enough...

I've chickens and bees. This time of year the bees are all over the chicken layer feed, suns out, it's warm, nothing blooming, so they are after whatever they can find. The chickens do not bother with the bees.

Nice! I'm still scouting a location for a hive. Definitely will be away from the coops. Just wanted to hear from some folks who have both to prepare. I had thought of getting gunieas but hear they are hard to keep on your property and I love the idea of free range. That with the bee buffet might not be a good idea ;)

I've been wanting a hive or two for a while now. Just haven't gotten around to it! Hoping to meet up with a group this spring to learn more.

I learned something today. Last night we had a LOT of wind, about 70 MPH or so, sustained. And gusting higher. The previous night winds gusted to about 60 or so, but were not sustained. Well, I had my hives, 3 of them all in a row, on top of an "ant stand". This morning the hives had not toppled, thank goodness, because of the wind, but the ant stand had collapsed. Well, I got the hives level again, with some finagling and smoking. There is a dowel from the ant stand stuck under one of the hives, and I could not get it.
Came back about an hour later with Husband to help me, there were bees all over the place. Especially on the ground IFO the hives. I'd thought, oh no, look at all the dead bees. Knowing they were kind of agitated we did not mess with the hive with the dowel under it, it is stable enough for the time being. I then went back a few hours after that, and there were bees out, in and out of the hive, at their water trough, but not nearly the amount on the ground IFO the hives that had been. I was wondering, did the bees have an inkling that things were amiss, with the jolt from their initial fall, to the other jolt and smoke, when I reset them, so there was a semi mass exodus and wait awhile, to make sure everything was copacetic before they all returned into the hive. Weather is still windy, rain off and on, in the high 40's, so they are not flying too much.
Just thought I'd put this observation out there. I'd add pics to this post but don't see where I can upload them.

Back
Top Bottom