Anyone keep bees in addition to their birds?

What type of hives do you have? Did you cover them in something to winterize? They don't look like any I've seen or looked up.
I never thought about using straps to keep the top on.

I have Langs. Yes I did cover them with something, I used stiff 1/2 " insulation. I made the 4 sides, and I can just slide it over the hive, then I made an insulated top to go over the cover. I made the edges of the insulated top 4", there is a small upper entrance, and that 4" overhang protects it. We do get some cold weather here, it can get down to -5, snow. Weather does not stay that cold though, it's up and down. I wanted to give them some type of insulation, and after looking at what everyone else does for their area, taking in factors of what my area is like, I settled on this. I think it really helps with blocking the wind too. Must be doing something right, all three hives are booming so far. I just got these bees in April of 2014, two packages of Carniolians and a Nuc of Italians. Got the italians about a week after the Carnis.
I painted the insulation the same color as the hives, except the one in the middle, I ran out of paint. I just used some flat green spraypaint I had laying around.

I started using the straps when I noticed the bricks I had been putting on the covers, were making the covers warp, and squishing some bees. Darn, I ment to take a pic of how they are all strapped down now, have to do that tomorrow.

I keep chickens and bees. I agree the chickens don't mess with the bees. But bluebirds sit on a fence post and pick them off. I can see them from the kitchen window. Our guineas got picked off before the bees were here so cannot advise about that, but that wouldn't surprise me to see them at the bee buffet.

We have been lucky with wind but found a place they are semi protected. I use rocks on top of mine. Just 10-15 pound pieces of limestone from the property.

I lost all 3 hives last year - 2 on this property and 1 at my dads. Replaced 1 at each place and so far so good. But the up and down temps of Ohio spring weather did mine in last year so time will tell.

We are getting bees in April and I am so excited!!!
1f601.png
We are getting 3 hives. With it being 79 degrees out the bees were out and trying to carry the small peices of corn and pellets the chickens didn't bother them they both ignored each other. But it may be different with each flock.

Any one care to give me a ball park about how expensive it is to get started with a hive of bees, and assuming that all goes well with them, yearly maintenance, perhaps increasing to a 2 hive max? Is it possible to build your own hive, or is it way too detailed?

if you buy a "kit" it can be about $300.00 or more. I'm a first year keeper, got my bees last April. I got a kit that had a pre assembled hive and one super, came with frames, a suit, gloves, smoker, and a few other things. Worked for me since I am no where near a woodworker. But it is very possible to build your own, and the forum I posted (below) even has free plans for hive bodies. Then I bought unassembled deeps and mediums for the other two hives. All three hives are booming right now, doing really well. Along with the hives you need stuff to combat Varroa Mites, and Small Hive Beetles, if you are in an area where beetles are a problem. I dont know if this is kosher but a GREAT forum is "beesource.com". I have learned a TON of stuff visiting that site, lots and lots of keepers there, some with decades of experience and a lot of newbees too.

Then there are the cost for buying the bees themselves. I picked up 2 packages last year at $85.00 each, and a nuc for $100.00, to round out my 3 hives. They are more expensive this year, and more expensive depending on where you are located. then you discover you need more supers, and frames to go in those supers. I discovered I "needed" a pheumatic staple gun, to staple those frames together, it really helps! It kind of takes on it's own life...... Now I have, total 3 active hives, and enough deeps for 2 more.....just in case I catch a swarm, or absolutly HAVE to split one of my hives. Lids and bottom boards to go with those hives, I've extra honey supers for all the hives, I'm so isolated, and hate having to rely on someone else, I also bought extracting equipment....bigger bucks there:rolleyes::rolleyes: It is a lot of fun, and the honey is to die for:D

I've got to take a nap, hope all goes well, and have fun!,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom