Anyone Keep Multiple Roosters Successfully?

I currently have 4 mature roos. But, they are mostly free range, and there are about 30 hens. I was very concerned the older 2 would kill the younger 2, last summer, as the 2 younger ones got bigger. But, with plenty of space and more than enough girls to go around, once their pecking order was established, everything has been fine. The only one we came anywhere close to culling was one of the younger ones, because he kept challenging my husband and my little Cavalier (who was thinking he might make a great new friend, lol). But, he outgrew it, quickly enough, with a swat to the butt with a broom, every time he did it.

I have four different coop/runs. There are currently between 14 and 18 chickens in each. They are rotated to allow different groups to free range daily. I have two pair of Bielefelder brothers, three months difference in age. I split the brothers putting an older and younger each in separate areas. No serious fighting in their areas but the younger brothers will go to the other’s area when free ranging to tussle between the fence. Third area has a Barred Rock cockerel and the fourth area has two Silkie guys who tolerate one another. I’ve got a brooder of 30ish unsexed mixed breeds, 15 Silkies in another brooder and a buncha eggs in the incubator. More infrastructure in process!
Generally replenish roos and hens within two years. Never tolerate aggressive roos especially since my 26 month granddaughter lives with me. Lotsa space is an elixir for behavior. Not perfect, but works.

My older roo is a Sebright. This new one is a Leghorn.

But there are 2 new developments:

1) I realized that I can pretty easily have 2 separate coops and foraging areas. I'll be able to keep them both. I'm not thrilled at the prospect, but it's probably the most responsible thing to do, imo.

2) The Leghorn might still be a pullet. I say that because its comb is large, but it hasn't gotten any pinker in the last week, and the other (who I am all but certain is a pullet) has caught up and the two are almost indistinguishable from one another. And their legs are still quite thin.

I still think it's a little cockerel, but at least I have a solid plan now.

I have an order for 6 (female) chicks coming in early May. I'll wait until I feel more confident of this chick's sex. If I feel like it's def male, I'll start him a new flock in the smaller coop with a total of 8 birds. If I feel like he's actually a she, I'll cancel that order and integrate these into my current flock.

Better to get the deets worked out now before it's panic time.

I have read lots of bad situations with multiple roosters. I just want to be as close to 100% sure as possible before I decide what to do.

I have an established flock of 8 hens, 3 laying pullets, and 1 rooster, mixed ages (8 months - 3.5 years).

I have two 2-week old chicks (a pullet and a cockerel) in the brooder.

I am expecting an order of 6 female chicks in early May. The final ratio would be 2 males:18 females.

I will have a 10x10 coop ready before the current 2 in the brooder are ready to go outside. I will also have a 1600+ sq ft yard for them. Free ranging is not possible here due to huuuuge predator load.

I would *like* to keep both males, but I know that invites a whole host of potential problems. And I want to do right by all the birds involved.

1) In your folks' experience, is that a big enough area to help alleviate issues?

2) is it even possible for 2 unrelated boys to cohabitate?

3) Would having separate coops help? I am not keen on building another, but I can, or I can try dividing the 10x10.

4) Or should I just rehome one of the males? (Full disclosure: I don't eat my chickens) I realize whoever gets one will probably turn him into soup.

Any advice/input would be hugely appreciated.
A big enough area helps alot, I'm on 10 acres in the woods upstate NY. All my kids are free ranged on 2 acres around my house. My experience introducing and adult roosters has not gone well. however I've yet to have an issue with buying a dozen or so birds straight run resulting in young roos or having the girls hatch some out . I currently have 11 roosters and 40-45 hens w/ no issues. Yes they occasionally spar. I let them work it out. They will set up their own 'pecking order' I've yet to have any of the roos kill each other. They will beat each other up from time to time. The defeated roo goes off to recuperate/ sulk or I'll bring him patch him up( clean any visible blood and close any wounds, then he goes right back out. The best thing about having multiple roos is the protection of the hens. When my girls go foraging, they normally go in groups of @ 8 and are accompanied by 3 roos. 2 stay with the girls for ground protection one is observing the flock above the group as look out. The roos swap off duties as the girls move through the woods foraging. Any threat approaches the the roos sound the alarm, the girls head for cover / back to the house all roos not w/ ladies come to the threat the roos engage the threat if on the ground. If an threat from above all head for cover and scream for their human until the threat loses interest and move on. The biggest problem for me with multiple Roos is making sure all my girls have chicken saddles on. Other wise the girls backs will be beaten up. I normally will make up a dozen saddles and put them on the girls when they are roosting, with in a few nites all the girls are outfitted w/ no issues. Needless to say don't put saddles on them that have any red material. Granted I've only had chickens for @ 7 years now. This works for me thus far, Others might have differant experiences / longer time in the hobby.

Once cockerels are of age and want to mate, you will be able to tell almost immediately how the integration will be. If your older roo is already a good leader he should be able to put the cockerel in his place in the pecking order. The ratio of roos to hens you will have is good so I would proceed and keep an eye on them.

I have read lots of bad situations with multiple roosters. I just want to be as close to 100% sure as possible before I decide what to do.

I have an established flock of 8 hens, 3 laying pullets, and 1 rooster, mixed ages (8 months - 3.5 years).

I have two 2-week old chicks (a pullet and a cockerel) in the brooder.

I am expecting an order of 6 female chicks in early May. The final ratio would be 2 males:18 females.

I will have a 10x10 coop ready before the current 2 in the brooder are ready to go outside. I will also have a 1600+ sq ft yard for them. Free ranging is not possible here due to huuuuge predator load.

I would *like* to keep both males, but I know that invites a whole host of potential problems. And I want to do right by all the birds involved.

1) In your folks' experience, is that a big enough area to help alleviate issues?

2) is it even possible for 2 unrelated boys to cohabitate?

3) Would having separate coops help? I am not keen on building another, but I can, or I can try dividing the 10x10.

4) Or should I just rehome one of the males? (Full disclosure: I don't eat my chickens) I realize whoever gets one will probably turn him into soup.

Any advice/input would be hugely appreciated.
It really depends on the personality of the flock and roosters. My main concern would be adding a new, young rooster to an already established older roosters flock. It can work, but only with enough hens to go around. Which 2 roosters for 18 hens seems good. But, the younger rooster has been in a brooder, right? Not raised by a Broody hen right alongside the existingRooster? That's my concern. My personal dealings are this:. I got straight run chicks 2 years ago...3 turned out to be roosters, and 4 hens... They got along mostly, small scuffles, nothing too big. About a year later, I added 2 full grown hens... So ratio then 3 roosters to 6 hens. Still good... Then last October I let my Broody finally hatch eggs...2 hatched... Both ended up roosters 😢... So my count was 5 roosters to 6 hens. Went well initially, mom literally raised the chicks alongside the flock though with my ever watchful eye. They were pretty welcomed into the flock! But, at about 4 months when the brothers came of age, they began fighting! Final straw they fought bad enough I thought 1 would die. I rehomed 1 of my hatched roosters to a farm where they take awesome care of him. So... Long story... Final ratio is 4 roosters and 6 hens... Minor scuffles with the remaining new boy, but doing ok so far. I'm the same...I don't kill my chickens... Regardless of sex. I only rehomed 1 boy of mine to a trusted sanctuary. I've visited and get videos frequently. My flock has a large coop and a open air run about 1600-2000 sq. Ft. Space is a huge issue if you have multiples roosters. Sounds like you have a great heart and want to make it work, so you can! Be persistent, but cautious. Good luck.

I’ve got too many rooster for the amount of hens so some of them are kept in the “bachelor pad” which is just a covered dog kennel that was repurposed as a coop, but the roosters that are in with the flock don’t have a lot of problems. There’s an occasional squabble but not to the point of injury, they establish a dominance hierarchy and tend to respect it.

Back
Top Bottom