Anyone keep Muscovy drakes with other breeds?

Ducksinarow had mentioned that KC would probably be too small which is fine.

One thing I was wondering is once the girls are large enough to go with the boys and once they have had some time to meet and greet across a fence line should I seperate the drakes and add 3 ducks with each for a period of time to form a group and then reintroduce everyone back together or am I totally over thinking this whole thing!!!!

Ducksinarow had mentioned that KC would probably be too small which is fine.

One thing I was wondering is once the girls are large enough to go with the boys and once they have had some time to meet and greet across a fence line should I seperate the drakes and add 3 ducks with each for a period of time to form a group and then reintroduce everyone back together or am I totally over thinking this whole thing!!!!
are these ducks going to be able to range over a big area? I'm thinking you may be better off just putting them all together after the ducks are old enough to mate, which is around 5 months old. If you put individual ducks with each drake then open to up for them all to be together I see more problems than if they all meet through fencing and then when girls are old enough just put them all together, Or keep the boys and their 3 girls separate from the start, which may work out better for you no fighting among drakes and the girls will bond with each other and their drake. My dominant drake has 3 ducks all for himself. they know he is theirs and he knows they are his girls, Now the less dominant drake will take advantage of Doms ducks if he isn't around but they don't like him and the same with lesses ducks and the Dom drake. In other words the Drakes will form familes with their girls now to keep the peace here mine are in a very large fenced in area, and most of the time the drakes manage to stay out of each others way. there are fights but they usually work them out by themselves. so you can have it either way just depends on what you want mostly. And you may just have to try something to start and if it doesn't work go to plan B. ps I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you. was not my intention.
smile.png

Last edited:
They will have just under a quarter of an acre fenced in as the duck area. The chickens will share a fence line. We are enlarging our current setup in the spring and building a new coop and duck house(s).
You did not confuse me! I do think that meet and greet through the fence and then release the girls in would be easiest. Or at least it sounds good on paper!!!!

They will have just under a quarter of an acre fenced in as the duck area. The chickens will share a fence line. We are enlarging our current setup in the spring and building a new coop and duck house(s).
You did not confuse me! I do think that meet and greet through the fence and then release the girls in would be easiest. Or at least it sounds good on paper!!!!
You know all you can do is give it a try and if it doesn't work then go to plan B. Keep us up to date on how the boys are doing and what breed you decide on.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom