Anyone keep up with NASA? Ready for launch?

DawnSuiter

Songster
12 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Western Colorado - Formerly E. TN Smokies
My Coop
My Coop
So tomorrow is the first test launch of the new Constellation Program's New Ares I-X Rocket. There will be a mockup for the crew vehicle as they are only testing the rocket at this point. At 10am today, Monday 10/26, there will be a Launch Readiness News Conference if you want to check it out.

I watch NASA TV on a daily basis, its an important part of my life.

I'm sad to see the STS program go (Space Transportation System aka Shuttle Program) and believe in my heart that the Astronauts are sad to see it go too. It was so inspirational and IMO the picture of beauty, but as with all steps forward, sometimes the old way must go.

I listen to them describe the inherit differences between the shuttle & the Souz capsule and even their emotions are obvious... During the Gemini program they were always demanding for more flight control, after all they ARE pilots. I totally get it and mourn the loss of our piloted shuttle & return vehicle, even if it IS a 'brick with wings'.

What do you think of the new launch vehicle?

http://www.nasa.gov/

I'm a big fan of NASA. Hope the new program is a success
big_smile.png
Love the website too.

I think that is so funny.. when I was a kid, and my dad worked at the cape, he wasn't even allowed to tell us when a missle would launch ..

I can remember him INSISTING that we eat dinner outside on the picnic table, even when we didn't want to .. so that we could see it go up .. but he would NEVER EVER tell us WHY we were outside ...

Men would get fired on the spot if they found out they even told their WIVES.

Now we know every detail ....

idunno.gif

Quote:
Well, the shuttles have a 'lifespan' and frankly it's close to the end. They took some lessons from the previous system and the Soyuz. It's quite a roomy vehicle for sure compared to either of those, but still.. not a shuttle.

It'll be more cost effective but also more reliable. Plus as in the previous space vehicles, there will be less thinking for the crew.

I used to skydive in Titusville, and I was always visually glued to the Vehicle Assembly Building and the launchpads whenever shuttles were there.

Last edited:
I think the shuttle was more definately more interesting looking than the Ares-I-X but as with anything new I'm sure it'll grow on us. What will they do with the shuttle? Are (can) they put it in the museum?
I love Nasa and am looking forward to following their new program along with my kids. We use the site that you mentioned for their school projects.
smile.png

I'd love to see a shuttle launch! When I was in the military one ship I was on was selected to be a "monitor" for a British submarine test firing ballistic missles off the coast of FL. That was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in person.

Steve in NC

Me too, there are only a limited number left, and you can never know ahead of time if it will actually go through.

The first rocket launch we took DD to blew up shortly after liftoff.. she was young maybe 4 or 5.. she asked, "is it supposed to do that?" we were mortified and glad there was no crew on board.

Then we saw the last Titan Rocket launch one time when we were in DeLand, at another dropzone, celebrating the life of a lost friend. It was beautiful, see:
db_titan4b-22.jpg
db_titan4b_launch42.jpg

Last edited:
great pics! I'll have to see if I can find the ones I have. I had one that came out really good, it was just as the missle came out of the water and rocket motor firing.

It's funny you brought this thread up. I just finished reading 2001 and am about 1/2 thru 2010. I can't even tell you how many times I have read the series.
smile.png

Steve

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom