anyone keeps fayoumis confined?

thank you. I am more troubled by chasing eggs and possible mating with another breed roo. I have just a pair of them and it is impossible to find another pullet/hen. guy who sold me the eggs disappeared and changed phone number and he had brought fertile eggs from egypt. nobody else have them.
You're a lucky person then.
One of the people I knew in Spain had a similar problem. He had at one point 20 pairs, some of which moved into an unoccupied farm adjacent to his property because they needed more room. If my memeory serves me he had 15 acres of land.
What I would be tempted to do is let them go where they want and mate with who they want. They've done very well without much in the way of human interference for centuries.
They will, if they are roosting off your property have a "roosting tree". If you can find that then the nest/laying site will not be far away. I understand well the inconvenience of egg hunting. I had many years of it.
My friend in Spain used to provide broody coops and most of the females would use them. He secured them at night but otherwise the chickens were free to come and go as they pleased.
His view, my view and the view of many other Fayoumi enthusiasts is to adjust ones view of ownership and responsibility. Essentially Fayoumies are a feral species and that is how they should stay.
Accept that you'll probably lose them, hope they will breed and teach their young to survive as feral creatures. Provide feed and water and a safe place for them should they choose to use it. In effect treat them as wild birds you want to attract to your garden.

You're a lucky person then.
One of the people I knew in Spain had a similar problem. He had at one point 20 pairs, some of which moved into an unoccupied farm adjacent to his property because they needed more room. If my memeory serves me he had 15 acres of land.
What I would be tempted to do is let them go where they want and mate with who they want. They've done very well without much in the way of human interference for centuries.
They will, if they are roosting off your property have a "roosting tree". If you can find that then the nest/laying site will not be far away. I understand well the inconvenience of egg hunting. I had many years of it.
My friend in Spain used to provide broody coops and most of the females would use them. He secured them at night but otherwise the chickens were free to come and go as they pleased.
His view, my view and the view of many other Fayoumi enthusiasts is to adjust ones view of ownership and responsibility. Essentially Fayoumies are a feral species and that is how they should stay.
Accept that you'll probably lose them, hope they will breed and teach their young to survive as feral creatures. Provide feed and water and a safe place for them should they choose to use it. In effect treat them as wild birds you want to attract to your garden.

I am building a coop for araucanas next to the fayoumis escaping point. I might use it for fayoumis instead and let them free roam. they do come back many times a day to eat and to rest. my cockerel comes to the coop for night but pullet prefers a big olive tree. I cannot let her sleep there as there are foxes, minks, rats, etc. not to mention my dogs. if she lays eggs somewhere I cannot find they will be eaten by rats at night.

Back
Top Bottom