Anyone know about deathlayer chicks?

Here, this is from Hilltop Farms:

The literal translation of its German name, Totleger, means “death layer.” One theory has it that the name was bestowed because the hens of this breed are so productive they lay an egg each day until the day they die.

I've seen a few different theories, I don't know what the substantial one is but I think they're all pretty interesting

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_225854_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_225854_Chrome.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230513_225828_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_225828_Chrome.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230513_225807_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_225807_Chrome.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230513_225643_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_225643_Chrome.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230513_225428_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_225428_Chrome.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 27
My understanding was that they have a normal chicken lifespan, but that they do not hit henopause like other breeds. So instead of having to keep replenishing hens every 2-3 years due to the normal drop in production, you would be able to rely on their eggs, as long as they are alive.

So they are essentially a better looking production breed?
From my understanding it's a few hundred year old breed from Germany that was well known for it's egg production and when it became an import, both for egg laying and anesthetics, the name deathlayer stuck better than day layer because of the literal translation as well as it sounding cool. Because even on the hilltop farms it goes on to say "The second theory – less sensational but probably more accurate -- is that the breed was first described by a different name in low German (Dauerleger or, literally, “day layer”), and over the centuries this name morphed into Totleger", so if I'm understanding correctly, then yeah pretty much 😂. And even though they look so similar to fayoumis, fayoumis have been around significantly longer

As a keeper of this breed for the last 3+ yrs, I will say this. DL's are frought with issues... It took me several attempts to get a flock together. I have a Roo and 4 hens. have had as many as 7 hens, but cut back on my flock number. The hens definitely do not lay every day. In fact I am lucky to get 2-3 eggs a week per hen except at the beginning of the year, they ramp up production to 3-4 eggs a week LOL. But I just love their looks, so I keep them. They are flighty, and I suspect stress quickly stops the hens from laying. Cassidy, my roo, is not in the least aggressive, but he takes good care of his hens.

Attachments

• cassidy.JPG
    cassidy.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 26
As a keeper of this breed for the last 3+ yrs, I will say this. DL's are frought with issues... It took me several attempts to get a flock together. I have a Roo and 4 hens. have had as many as 7 hens, but cut back on my flock number. The hens definitely do not lay every day. In fact I am lucky to get 2-3 eggs a week per hen except at the beginning of the year, they ramp up production to 3-4 eggs a week LOL. But I just love their looks, so I keep them. They are flighty, and I suspect stress quickly stops the hens from laying. Cassidy, my roo, is not in the least aggressive, but he takes good care of his hens.
I had heard they were quite flighty and maybe not the best "starter chicken" for newbs.

Back
Top Bottom