Anyone know about deathlayer chicks?

Do you have an update on your chicks? We just hatched 6 gold deathlayer eggs, 3 gold and 3 lighter colored ones. they are about 5 weeks old now, not white so I'm thinking lemon. They are difficult to sex and I'm wondering if the color difference can be used to determine anything.

Attachments

• 20230508_154153.jpg
    20230508_154153.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 37
We have 8 golden deathlayer chicks just hatched in incubator.
7 of them are a brownish red color and one is very blonde.
Does the difference in color indicate sex?

Also does anyone have any advice on raising this breed.
Ive heard they are harder to raise?
Do you know what color the parents were? There's a color called lemon deathlayers, try looking into them and if they look similar. I'm not super experienced, I've only had chickens a little over a year, but I have two silver deathlayers and they're wonderful. I didn't find them any harder to raise but they are in my experience more skittish/standoffish than some of my other breeds. They eat out of my hand sometimes but they aren't cuddly. In my opinion they act similar to gamebirds

I had never heard of fayoumis until you said this and I went down the rabbit hole trying to figure out if they're related or not but from everything I've found they aren't?? And it trips me out 😂. They look so similar aside from maybe body type. But I did read that some people have bred fayoumis into deathlayer bloodlines to increase diversity but it seemed controversial.
I don't get it. Maybe they lay so many eggs that you die from the sheer amount?

My understanding was that they have a normal chicken lifespan, but that they do not hit henopause like other breeds. So instead of having to keep replenishing hens every 2-3 years due to the normal drop in production, you would be able to rely on their eggs, as long as they are alive.

So they are essentially a better looking production breed?
From my understanding it's a few hundred year old breed from Germany that was well known for it's egg production and when it became an import, both for egg laying and anesthetics, the name deathlayer stuck better than day layer because of the literal translation as well as it sounding cool. Because even on the hilltop farms it goes on to say "The second theory – less sensational but probably more accurate -- is that the breed was first described by a different name in low German (Dauerleger or, literally, “day layer”), and over the centuries this name morphed into Totleger", so if I'm understanding correctly, then yeah pretty much 😂. And even though they look so similar to fayoumis, fayoumis have been around significantly longer

Back
Top Bottom