Golden Deathlayer chicks

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I feel like it’s a stupid question, but why are my deathlayer chicks such different shades? Yakul is dark red around the head and darker around the body while Teto is yellow around the head and has more white. They’re both goldens. What does the color difference mean?

Added pictures of their wing color, I know wing sexing(most likely?) does not work on them

Attachments

• IMG_3597.jpeg
    IMG_3597.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3596.jpeg
    IMG_3596.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3560.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3561.jpeg
    IMG_3561.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3562.jpeg
    IMG_3562.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 5
I feel like it’s a stupid question, but why are my deathlayer chicks such different shades? Yakul is dark red around the head and darker around the body while Teto is yellow around the head and has more white. They’re both goldens. What does the color difference mean?
The color difference is probably just individual variation. Some just are a bit different shade of gold than others.

Added pictures of their wing color, I know wing sexing(most likely?) does not work on them
You could have two males, two females, or one of each. And if they are one of each, I don't know which is which. You're right that wing sexing isn't going to work.

The color difference is probably just individual variation. Some just are a bit different shade of gold than others.

You could have two males, two females, or one of each. And if they are one of each, I don't know which is which. You're right that wing sexing isn't going to work.
Thanks!

The breeder said he picked out the two he thought were most likely to be hens (and if he’s wrong he will trade me a hen for whichever ends up a rooster) but I have no idea what he’s checking for them

The breeder said he picked out the two he thought were most likely to be hens (and if he’s wrong he will trade me a hen for whichever ends up a rooster) but I have no idea what he’s checking for them
I also have no idea what he is checking, but I would trust his experience of that breed over my non-experience, especially since he offered to exchange if he is wrong!

I think their different colors are just unique to both of them.
I have a friend that breeds both gold and white death layers and the colors he gets can be a bit off from the expected coloration

Back
Top Bottom