What color would you call this Orpington cockerel?

This is Delilah for reference
She’s beautiful! I always have loved blues. This is the other blue pullet that came in the box. I guess I am just used to my blue Marans that seem to be so much lighter compared to the blue orpingtons.
IMG_5333.jpeg

Since you are here and much more knowledgeable on Orpingtons can I ask what you would consider this pullet? I thought black because she was black as a chick and stayed that way up until about a month ago when she started to lighten up. She is lighter than any black chickens that I have seen, but also darker than any blue I have seen. Is she black, considered blue now or maybe another gene is showing through a little? Maybe black split to lavender and the lavender is showing? Sorry if the question seems silly.
View attachment 3658680
Definitely a dark blue.

I don't have any that dark yet in my Ameraucana. I have seen some at show that you might think where black tho. Especially the cockerels and cocks. Their hackles and saddles where so dark.
I got a rooster from a friend who swore up and down he was Black. I kept telling her he was dark Blue. Sure enough, he threw Splash chicks with my Blue hens.

This is Ronan. He is right around 5 months and came from one of Papa’s Poultry surprise Orpington boxes so he wasn’t exactly labeled. I thought he was a golden laced because he looked pretty close to a golden laced as a chick, but not exactly. I know Jeff has a lot of projects colors going on, but golden laced is the closest color he has listed. Ronan’s lacing has just started to fill in this month, but as you can see it is not coming in golden… it is instead rather yellow? I added a pic of the back of his head next to one of my lavenders so you can see that the lacing is also not white, but definitely yellow (even more so in person). I was just asked what color he is considered, but I don’t know what exactly to call him?
View attachment 3658215
View attachment 3658216
He's beautiful

Back
Top Bottom