What color would you call this Orpington cockerel?

I paid anywhere from $14.50-$16.50 per chick for the variety boxes since I ordered both box types for the orpingtons. He had one box option that was non-project English lines only and then the other box option could have both English and project orpingtons. You can definitely see the difference between the English and non- English lines with the sizes, but even the project Orpington cockerels are a pretty decent size.
Is the only difference between the English and non- English the size?

Is the only difference between the English and non- English the size?
I think the biggest difference for English is that they are I guess I would describe it as more pudgy/round/bowling ball body shaped compared to the American. The English are broader across the shoulders, shorter legs, shorter back length and looser fluffyfeathering.

English style (google image):

IMG_5335.jpeg

American (picture from Meyer):
IMG_5337.jpeg

Last edited:
This is Ronan. He is right around 5 months and came from one of Papa’s Poultry surprise Orpington boxes so he wasn’t exactly labeled. I thought he was a golden laced because he looked pretty close to a golden laced as a chick, but not exactly. I know Jeff has a lot of projects colors going on, but golden laced is the closest color he has listed. Ronan’s lacing has just started to fill in this month, but as you can see it is not coming in golden… it is instead rather yellow? I added a pic of the back of his head next to one of my lavenders so you can see that the lacing is also not white, but definitely yellow (even more so in person). I was just asked what color he is considered, but I don’t know what exactly to call him?
View attachment 3658215
View attachment 3658216
I have no clue, but i do know a beautiful, happy chicken when I see one! Good luck Ronan 🐓❤️

He appears to be a poorly marked Silver-laced Orpington. He's definitely got Silver-lacing on one side of the family tree. Without knowing what active projects he's working on, I'd hazard he's trying for Blue Silver-laced, and that cockerel is from a Silver-laced rooster over Blue hens.

I decided to keep him for now and see how he turns out. I will add updated pictures once he finishes filling out. Every week he seems to get more lacing in. Only a month ago his head had the yellow and his body was completely black so I guess we will see if he changes anymore.

Back
Top Bottom