What color would you call this Orpington cockerel?

I decided to keep him for now and see how he turns out. I will add updated pictures once he finishes filling out. Every week he seems to get more lacing in. Only a month ago his head had the yellow and his body was completely black so I guess we will see if he changes anymore.
He won't ever be fully laced. Not with one parent being a solid-colored bird that didn't carry lacing. He'd be useful in a project, but I generally only keep the Blue pullets from that initial cross to take back to their laced father to get fully laced birds in the second generation.

The breeder might be working towards Birchin with some projects, but that bird is definitely not genetically pure for Birchin. It's laced.
Since you are here and much more knowledgeable on Orpingtons can I ask what you would consider this pullet? I thought black because she was black as a chick and stayed that way up until about a month ago when she started to lighten up. She is lighter than any black chickens that I have seen, but also darker than any blue I have seen. Is she black, considered blue now or maybe another gene is showing through a little? Maybe black split to lavender and the lavender is showing? Sorry if the question seems silly.
IMG_5329.jpeg

Since you are here and much more knowledgeable on Orpingtons can I ask what you would consider this pullet? I thought black because she was black as a chick and stayed that way up until about a month ago when she started to lighten up. She is lighter than any black chickens that I have seen, but also darker than any blue I have seen. Is she black, considered blue now or maybe another gene is showing through a little? Maybe black split to lavender and the lavender is showing? Sorry if the question seems silly.
View attachment 3658680
She looks like a lovely dark blue! Blue can range from light to darker. I love her lacing!

View attachment 3658680
I see a nice dark blue with nice laceing.

Maybe a partially laced gold-silver split?

"Partially laced" because I can't think of any other logical thing to call that pattern.

"Gold-silver split" meaning a chicken that has one copy of the gold gene and one copy of the silver gene. Chickens that have both the gold and silver genes show mostly silver (which is why it is considered dominant), but the silver can be yellowish (presumably affected by the recessive gold gene they are carrying.)

If he could be a from a project or a variety that is still being developed, that would explain why he does not look right for any specific one that you can find.
X2.

Back
Top Bottom