Anyone Know Anything About Guinea Pigs? Help!

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Last Thursday we thought we would be nice and let our 2 guinea pigs outside on a patch of dry grass (it was very snowy). We just set their hut down without a fence or anything, suspecting that they wouldn't go anywhere because of the snow. Our mistake! We forgot we had let them out and when we came back (it was dark outside) they were not in their hut. We found the little white one (McFlurry) under his outdoor cage but couldn't find the black and brown one (Patches). We looked until our hands almost froze off but couldn't find him. We searched the next morning without luck.
Today my mom and I were playing volleyball outside when I saw a clump of fur out of the corner of my eye. I realized it wasn't a clump of fur, but Patches! I yelled "Patches!!!" And we ran and picked him up. He did not try to escape us like usual. He seems very tired and weak. He is obviously dehydrated and malnourished. The fur around his eyes is matted together with eye goop like his eyes have been watering.
We have given him water, veggies, and food. I don't know if he's been eating it.

Does anyone know what I should do for him? Is there anything special we should do? Help!

I'm so surprised he survived. It's a miracle!
wee.gif

I would if I could but my mom says he doesn't need to go to the vet.
hmm.png

Is there anything I can do at home? Is there anything special I should feed him or something like that?

sorry, he NEEDS a vet. There are some excellent guinea pig forums. I will PM you the links and they might have some advise but I'll warn you now that they are NOT going to be nice about it.

He probably has pneumonia. If your mom will not let you take him to the vet and you must treat him yourself, you can get some antibiotics at the feed and livestock supply. Do you have a friend who has livestock? They could probably help you. He most likely needs some injectable penicillin.

If you can't take him to the vet, then you'll have to take special care of him.
Keep him warm, make sure he has lots of fresh water ( maybe put electrolytes in it?), etc. Wipe his eyes with a warm cloth when they get goey. I would feed him his normal food and maybe encourage him with veggies. He's been on his own for 3 days?

Please do not treat him yourself . Rodents, lagomorphs and cavies have special needs regarding antibiotics and what you do to try to save him can kill him . Tell your mother "yes he does need to go to the vet and that it is your responsibility as a pet owner to take him there" she needs this lesson. . It is not OK to let him die without having seen a vet to treat him properly just becaus he's not a dog or cat or what ever species she thinks it's appropriate to provide good care for. GP's make wonderful pet as I am sure you are aware and do not deserve to be neglected, a single cold night out is life threatening and ignoring that is flat out wrong.

Please be very careful with any antibiotics...the only one we safely use in piggies is baytril which is prescription. I can't imagine he doesn't have pneumonia because all it takes is a draft even in your house...they are very sensitive to cold. I really hope he gets better but it would be best to have him checked at the vet.
Is he eating? Drinking?

Thank you all for your concerns and replies. After I made this thread Patches got worse. He struggled to move, could barely lift his head up to drink, wasn't eating, and could barely squeak. We did many of the things you have recomended here but none of it helped. Right before we scheduled a vet appointment Patchy passed. I'm just glad that he made it home and got to see his buddies one last time.
I really appreciate everyone's concerns and replies. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom