Anyone know anything about Lavender Orpingtons????

elphabafalls

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
I have a Lav Orpington that is at least 32 weeks old - maybe older. We rescused her, so she could be older, but we're pretty sure she can't be younger because we've had her at least 28 weeks and she was around 4-6 weeks when we got her. She hasn't started laying yet. She's not squatting. She's getting a waddle recently, and her face is turning bright red, but she basically has no comb at all. She still has the same comb she had as a chick. Her pelvic points are really close together. She's not very smart, and she's definitely the chicken at the bottom of the pecking order, but she's healthy and eats like a piglet. My question is - I read that they generally reach laying age around 24 weeks or so. She's a lot older than that, and she's showing no signs at all of getting close. Is this normal for this breed? Or, do some chickens simply never lay eggs at all? We rescued her from the worst living conditions, and she's matured so much slower than the other chickens. We're committed to giving her as good a life as possible, even if she doesn't ever lay an egg. I just want to see if this is the normal for this breed....or is she just "special" lol

First off, if you rescued her and she was not receiving the care or nutrition she should have, throw out the estimated timeframe to laying. The estimate to laying is for chickens raised under ideal conditions, meaning they lack for nothing. I've also noticed LO's are more dependent on daylight hours to egg production than some of the other breeds, I had to increase daylight hours by 3 hours of light before I get a single egg this time of year.

First off, if you rescued her and she was not receiving the care or nutrition she should have, throw out the estimated timeframe to laying. The estimate to laying is for chickens raised under ideal conditions, meaning they lack for nothing. I've also noticed LO's are more dependent on daylight hours to egg production than some of the other breeds, I had to increase daylight hours by 3 hours of light before I get a single egg this time of year.
She came from a hatchery, but it's not a place I'd ever want to visit again. My chickens are friendly and happy - and they're spoiled and demanding. They trust us. We worked hard for that. All their chickens had this panicked, trapped look about them and they trampled each other to get to the corner. I snatched Rain - my Lav Orp - out of that mob so she wouldn't be trampled because she was a runt compared to them. The chickens stank. It took forever for Rain to smell like my others - unless they've been rooting in something, mine smell like nothing. It was filthy and while I don't know what they fed them, if it was in line with what their living conditions were like, I'm betting their diet was less than ideal. Is it normal for her to have almost zero comb even at this age, though?

I snatched Rain - my Lav Orp - out of that mob so she wouldn't be trampled because she was a runt compared to them.

If she was a runt then it's not surprising that her laying is delayed. Hopefully, the deficiency she had as a chick didn't cause a permanent mal-development that would prevent her from ever laying and that she'll mature in due time given the current good care and nutrition.

Last edited:
If she was a runt then it's not surprising that her laying is delayed. Hopefully, the deficiency she had as a chick didn't cause a permanent mal-development that would prevent her from every laying and that she'll mature in due time given the current good care and nutrition.
I'm not as worried now after the replies - thank you. If she never lays, she still has a home. She's our 'bat crap crazy' chicken, and she's usually the first to take cover if she hears something. That prompts the others to take notice, so she earns her keep lol. I'm only worried that she has pretty much no comb at all.

Some mature slower that others also right now there’s less daylight for them to lay. Since she came from bad conditions it may take her longer. My LO is a year old and isn’t even close to laying. She has a small comb and pelvic bones are very close together. Just give her some time.

Back
Top Bottom