Anyone know how much it costs to get 3 chicks from my pet chicken?

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I was thinking about getting a couple of banties or possibly a few silkies but only "need" three as my local feed store is going to have some chicks in a few weeks and I can get some there.

If anyone remembers from last season what kind of total I can expect with shipping and handling, plus all those extra charges for small orders, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

I don't, but you should know that MPC's 3 chick minimum is only if you live in a large city or very close to one. Their actual minimum depends on your zip code.

They charged me $57 for 6 chicks this year. Your cost will probably be close to that as the chicks are the cheapest part of the order. It's $25 for the special packaging, plus shipping, plus individual chick prices. And Kristen is correct, the 3 minimum is only if you live in a major city, after that, the minimum is 5 for within 30 minutes, and 8 for those more than 30 minutes from a major city. Good luck. Carrie

Quote:
Gritsar, how do they figure the zip code thing? I was also thinking of the 3 chick min. I can't figure out which is a MAJOR city in my area, I can't contact MPC, they are in a devopement stage with their online ordering......

At $7 a pop for a silkie pullet (before any shipping charges) I think I'd just put in an order at the feed store and anticipate half your chicks being boys.

Quote:
Gritsar, how do they figure the zip code thing? I was also thinking of the 3 chick min. I can't figure out which is a MAJOR city in my area, I can't contact MPC, they are in a devopement stage with their online ordering......

Luna, the way I understand it is that they use your zip code when you order to determine it.
Here's what it says from their site:

How to determine the best minimum for you:
Our smallest order size of 3 chicks applies to major cities only, such as Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Portland OR, etc., due to the speed with which they can be delivered. If you live within 30 minutes of a major city, the best minimum is 5 chicks. For any town or rural area that is more than 30 minutes from a major city, our minimum is 8 chicks. This is to protect the chicks due to increased time in transit. If you are ordering Bantams, we strongly recommend that you add two chicks to any of the above quantities. We love our babies too much to let anything happen to them!

Thanks gritsar, looks like I might have to split it with someone, or I can just say to hubby, Oops, they messed up my order of 3 and gave me 8 they must have read that number wrong!
wink.png
tongue.png

I think I'll give MPC a ringy dingy and find out a little bit more.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom