Anyone know how to build a lil' bit?

QuacksALot

Chirping
Jun 26, 2018
Hello, I'm fixing to build a new chicken house/coop, because I just hatched 40 more chickens to my family of 20. I need a new one because it is small, and with 60 chickens with more coming in will make me need an even bigger house. I'm fixing to make an add-on to it, does that sound good? Or should I build a new coop? And how should I make it?
And how will I make it predator proof?
Thanks, any advice will help me, a lot.

007Sean

Face it, Embrace it, Ace it, Replace it
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Oct 25, 2015
South Central Texas
Hello, I'm fixing to build a new chicken house/coop, because I just hatched 40 more chickens to my family of 20. I need a new one because it is small, and with 60 chickens with more coming in will make me need an even bigger house. I'm fixing to make an add-on to it, does that sound good? Or should I build a new coop? And how should I make it?
Personally, I'd build a new coop and run. Building coops is a personal choice, nobody else knows what you need or want in your coop. If you can "add-on" to it, that probably would be the most cost effective.
If building to keep predators out, 1/2" HC is best for keeping most everything out of your run and using as an apron to keep diggers out.

fldiver97

Enabler
11 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Middleton, WI
My Coop
My Coop

I attached screenshot.... go to home page, select article. There are links to a variety of topics including large coops. That should give you some idea, good info. You may want to consider a large shed and convert it to coop

Attachments

• 07DC4DB6-4406-40D7-9B7E-0C90AE7F5876.png
    07DC4DB6-4406-40D7-9B7E-0C90AE7F5876.png
    945.2 KB · Views: 7

Acre4Me

Crossing the Road
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Where are you located? That may play a role, too due to temperature and overall weather. Guessing not a very cold climate if you are willing to construct a coop for use in the near future, and not concerned about frozen ground, or snow.

Howard E

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 18, 2016
Missouri
Sixty birds of the laying hen type, with more coming, is a lot of birds for a backyard flock. Where are you going with this?

That many birds in one spot creates management issues like what might be found with commercial flocks. If it is to be a single building, housing for that many birds isn't something that should be just thrown together. There is a lot of planning required if it's to be a success.

QuacksALot

Chirping
Jun 26, 2018
I have a lot of land- over 20 miles. We're getting more for our kids business. They sell eggs, and we are out of stock.

Top Bottom