Anyone know how to build a lil' bit?

QuacksALot

Chirping
Jun 26, 2018
Hello, I'm fixing to build a new chicken house/coop, because I just hatched 40 more chickens to my family of 20. I need a new one because it is small, and with 60 chickens with more coming in will make me need an even bigger house. I'm fixing to make an add-on to it, does that sound good? Or should I build a new coop? And how should I make it?
And how will I make it predator proof?
Thanks, any advice will help me, a lot.

Hello, I'm fixing to build a new chicken house/coop, because I just hatched 40 more chickens to my family of 20. I need a new one because it is small, and with 60 chickens with more coming in will make me need an even bigger house. I'm fixing to make an add-on to it, does that sound good? Or should I build a new coop? And how should I make it?
Personally, I'd build a new coop and run. Building coops is a personal choice, nobody else knows what you need or want in your coop. If you can "add-on" to it, that probably would be the most cost effective.
If building to keep predators out, 1/2" HC is best for keeping most everything out of your run and using as an apron to keep diggers out.

I attached screenshot.... go to home page, select article. There are links to a variety of topics including large coops. That should give you some idea, good info. You may want to consider a large shed and convert it to coop

Attachments

• 07DC4DB6-4406-40D7-9B7E-0C90AE7F5876.png
    07DC4DB6-4406-40D7-9B7E-0C90AE7F5876.png
    945.2 KB · Views: 7
Where are you located? That may play a role, too due to temperature and overall weather. Guessing not a very cold climate if you are willing to construct a coop for use in the near future, and not concerned about frozen ground, or snow.

Sixty birds of the laying hen type, with more coming, is a lot of birds for a backyard flock. Where are you going with this?

That many birds in one spot creates management issues like what might be found with commercial flocks. If it is to be a single building, housing for that many birds isn't something that should be just thrown together. There is a lot of planning required if it's to be a success.

I have a lot of land- over 20 miles. We're getting more for our kids business. They sell eggs, and we are out of stock.

Back
Top Bottom