Anyone know how to keep silkies clean?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Teresaann24, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Without having to bath them everyday?LOL

I dont know what it is about my girls they find the muddiest wettest place and always seem to have dirty crests and dirty feet.

When I see them strutting around with mudded crest i tell them they look like homeless chickens..LOL Of coures they do not care.

I have tried to cover there muddy bathing spots with pine shavings that lasts about a day and they dig them back up. We are having a nasty rainy start to april and its so muddy around here and they are LOVING it.

Any suggestions?

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Oh, its easy, just keep the little darlings in the middle of your bed for a lovely decoration![​IMG] We do love our Silkies!

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    LOL, I guess that would be the only way to keep them clean.

It just drives me nutty when I have company and they say whats wrong with your chickens?LOL

[​IMG] I loves my dirty silkies I always say to them...LOL [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

My Silkies are kept on pine shavings at all times, that I change once every two to three weeks.

And unless you keep them cooped and penned on pine shavings, any chicken is going to get dirty. Its their nature.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have a white cochin roo who frequently looks like a used muddy sweat sock. I will never ever ever get a white chicken or a feather foot by choice as long as I'm living in the soggy Pacific NW.

He wasn't my choice, he was a mcmurray freebie.

6. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

my related question is - which color of silkie is best for not showing the dirt? Mine will not be getting anywhere near my bed, so simply keeping the dirt from showing too badly will fix it for me -- I have the same approach to my kitchen floors! [​IMG]

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

None really... White is self explanatory, black might disguise the mudd a BIT but it is still noticeable, blues just look wet... Maybe partridge or that "calico" color only available from a mixed color chick?

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    In my white silkies 1 of my pullets she is always clean never a bit of dirt on her. I have an older hen she is ALWAYS dirty some place. I have a gray hen who keeps a dirty crest 4 out of 7 days a week..LOL I have a black hen who keeps a dirty crest all the time. I take out a baby wipe and clean her and I give it hours and she is the same way again.

Now my roos? Always clean and neat little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by