Anyone know much about Mottled Houdans?

NYRIR

Crowing
13 Years
May 13, 2010
Petersburg,NY
I want to help a critically endangered breed but am not sure if the Houdans could handle the winters in upstate NY. If not,any ideas on a breed we could help?I am looking to hatch and sell the chicks....I would use an incubator to hatch so broodiness is not a problem.Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.
smile.png

According to Purely Poultry:

Houdans possess a crest, beard and muffs and have five toes on each foot. Their rectangular bodies are set on fairly short legs. They are one of the better ornamental breeds for general utility use. Because of their crest, they require plenty of space and feed and water containers that prevent them from getting the crest wet and dirty, especially in cold weather. Because of the fifth toe, baby Houdans often walk with a skipping gait. An ornamental fowl that is also a good egg producer and fairly good as a meat bird.

According to me...I have a Mottled Houdan and she is a doll. Very friendly chicken, even laid an egg in my daughters lap. The winters here can get rough with negative windchills. I'd say if you have a good coop and possibly a heat source (if needed) then you'd be alright.

Cool...I'm just wondering how cold is too cold because we sometimes get ice storms/snow storms that take the power out....guess we could bring them inside with the woodstoves,DH would love that!
tongue.png

Wow! Right in your daughters lap
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom