1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone know what breed this hen is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stekewood, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Stekewood

Stekewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Hoping for some help here. I got this hen from someone who got her from someone else and didn't know the breed. She has a great inquisitive personality, is very friendly and is a great layer of light cream eggs. She just molted but most of her new feathers are in. If she is a pure breed I would love to find out what she is so I could get a few more. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's not a pure bred, she's a mixed breed, and mixed enough no specific breed is jumping out.

That's both the blessing and curse of mixed breed birds. I love having a bird that doesn't look just like everyone else's, but if you want another just like her you're often out of luck [​IMG]

3. fire370

fire370 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas
    X2

4. Stekewood

Stekewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    That's kind of what I thought but I thought maybe she could be an Iowa Blue or something similar.

5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Ideal and Sandhill sell Iowa Blue

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    She's not a pure Iowa Blue as she lacks the clean penciling of a pure Iowa Blue hen. I agree with donrae; she's a mixed breed.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    she's very pretty though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by