Anyone know what kind of bird this is?

motherofchicken

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
I have a golden laced wyandotte with a straight comb even the feather pattern looks like that, so could be wyandotte.
[/IMG]

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
I have a golden laced wyandotte with a straight comb even the feather pattern looks like that, so could be wyandotte.[/QUOTE]
If your Wyandotte has a single comb then some other breed has crept into its background somewhere. That's not uncommon with hatchery bred Wyandottes. Because rose comb breeds, including Wyandottes, tend to have problems with low fertility (http://www.rosecombs.com/documents/low_fertility.pdf?page_id=116) which is bad for a hatchery's profit margin, hatcheries will infrequently infuse a single comb bird into the lineage to help increase fertility. Occasionally this trace of single comb DNA will pop up in an offspring with a single comb, however it is considered unsuitable for the Wyandotte breed by the APA and is an immediate disqualification in a show. There is nothing wrong with these single combed birds (I have a couple of them myself over the years and they are very beautiful), they are just not considered pure Wyandottes according to APA standards. Also our bird in question appears to have some feathered legs (I'll grant it's not a real clear shot of them), whereas Wyandottes have clean legs.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom