Anyone know what these are?? :)

Paul333

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Venice, Florida
I am new to all of this . I live in Florida and got these 2 greyish ones at tractor supply. And the Blk one at local farm?
What are they . I hope there Hens! I love them already they all get along and so far so good. 2 grey ones are about 5 weeks and the blk is about 8 weeks. What kind of treats can I try to get them to sit with me? I tried grapes bread lettuce nooo luck..
82678_chic_2.gif

82678_chic_1.jpg

82678_red_and_spook.jpg

Hey there! I gave my 'teenagers' some cornbread last night and I am their new best friend!
Yogurt, minced up apple, grapes and a clump of grass from outside have also been big hits!

I plan to use cracked corn as the lure to round up the girls at night to go back into their coop...
I'll report how that works for us!

Lynn
frow.gif

BTW - I am so excited to see the photos of your grey birds - I do believe they are Blue
Andalusians - I have two 4 week olds that I think are the same birds. Good foragers I
have read and BEAUTIFUL!

Well, they are obviously CHICKENS! You have come to the right place
lau.gif
It never gets old!
gig.gif

I would be hard pressed to think TS would have Andalusians, but maybe. Otherwise, I am a little stumped on that one. It doesn't really look like the Andies I grew out last year.
The black is an Australorp, I think. And the red is a RIR.

Try something red, like strawberries or tomatoes for treats, you want something that will pique their curiosity.
The look good an healthy though. If you are letting them run around outside, they will find their own treats. There are plenty down there. I would love to see a chick that size with a Palmetto bug!
lau.gif
the rest would chase it saying "Mine. Mine. Mine" Just like the seagulls in FInding Nemo.

@Minniechickmamma - Are you saying these lovely girls of mine will eat those nasty Palmetto bugs?
H--l yeah!!! More reason to love them!! We aren't out in the yard yet...
I am a bit bummed about those not being Andalusians tho' - mine is much smaller than her 'sisters'
but she is a voracious eater! We dug some grubs out of the compost the other day and she snagged
4 of the 6! What else might these grey little darlings be?

Lynn
frow.gif

They will catch up, don't worry. I think when they get to 8-weeks, you will really know what they are. They could be Andies, just thinking it isn't likely from TSC. They are more of something you would get from a breeder or big hatchery like McMurray or Ideal or Cackle.

As far as I know, if it crawls or flies and doesn't smell like an Asian Lady Beetle, I don't see why they wouldn't eat the Palmettos bugs. I remember my husband the first time he saw one! It was hilarious! I knew what they were from visiting my parents every winter down there, but he is an Iowa boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom