anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by richje100, May 20, 2010.

1. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    hi guys.
    ive sadly lost one of my birds. checked on them the other night, 13 of them were all lively but one seemed to be sleeping standing up. touched her & she opened her eyes, drank some water then stood still. it was as if she couldnt keep her eyes open for being tired. in the space of 15mins, she had sat on the ground eyes shut. picked her up & she seemed to liven up a little flapping wings. looked at her bottom & it was wet (see pics.) put her down, drank some more water then sat back down. then she didnt wake up. looked in the nests & found some weird looking things. wondering whether she had a prolapse or something. hers some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't have a clue. Is there anyone else out there that can help?

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well with the limited information, it appears that she was having laying issues. Eggs that break inside will lead to an infection and will ultimately kill them.

Look up "internal laying" in the search on here and read up about it.

Sorry about your girl.

4. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    thanks guys. ive had soft eggs before & at first glance, thought this was one until i seen the long tube.

5. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Those stringy bits look a bit like ovaries, laying issues perhaps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by