anyone know where to get just ramps for chicken coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nettie, Nov 12, 2010.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I know they ain't hard to make, but I live in a townhouse din chicago, so sawing things and making lots of noise is looked down upon... does anyone know where to buy just a ramp for a coop?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You don't need to make noise. Go to Home Depot and buy an appropriate sized board (6" wide is fine, how long it should be depends on your setup, if it is short it is fine to use 1x lumber otherwise for a long ramp use 2x stuff). If you don't mind paying for "knotty pine" etc you can buy them as short as 4', or even shorter in some stores (or look in their cutoffs bin [​IMG]). Also get some lath or furring strips, and a small cheap hacksaw. (A hacksaw is a really useful thing to have around the house anyhow). Finally, get some "Liquid Nails" or other construction adhesive.

Use the hacksaw to cut the lath or furring strips into pieces the same length as the width of your board. This is a handsaw with teeny teeth and you will be cutting really weenie material, so it will make no meaningful noise and hardly even any sawdust either.

Use the Liquid Nails to glue the lath or furring strips across the ramp every foot or so. Let dry undisturbed 24 hrs. Ta da, a near-silently-made ramp.

No, I do not know of anywhere that sells them commercially and they would charge stupid prices if they *did* [​IMG]

There are also some BYCers who use that white vinyl covered wire shelving (like you'd use on a closet organizer or laundry-machine shelves) as ramps. Home Depot sells that too, in various lengths. Just buy and use.

GOod luck, have ufn,

Pat

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Home Depot or Lowes will do all the cutting for you. Or both of those stores have small hand saws in the store you can use. Do all your cutting at the store.

4. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I don't think it should be a big deal. Just just use a 2x4 or 4x6. I don't even have "steps"/ridges for grip on mine. Another one of my ramps is a log/branch from our woods. I leaned that against the coop and it works well.

You could also use steps instead of a ramp. Maybe all you need is a cinder block in front of the door to give them the little help that they need.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Seriously? A small jigsaw makes very little noise. Just turn the television on and it'll be louder than a jigsaw. Or, use a handsaw like others have said.

If you live in a place that you can't have the noise associated with making a ramp for your chickens then the noises your chickens make when they lay an egg is going to be a problem, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by