Anyone live in a Log House? Newer model

We hired log home builders to put up the logs and install roof, doors and windows. Then we took it from there. We did all the wiring, plumbing and drywall ourselves. (Don't want to do that ever again!) We did all the finish work. My hubby wanted to put up the entire thing ourselves but we were both in our 50's at the time. I said 'no way am I going to be moving those logs around and climbing on that roof'! So we compromised.
The house is a basic rectangle, 28' by 52'. But it's on a full finished walk out basement. And the decks on both sides of the house make it look a lot bigger and fancier than it actually is. The square footage is 1456 on each level so we have over 2900 sq ft of living space. Which is bigger than we needed but the rooms are large and there is plenty of room for grandkids and guests.

We live in the country so we had to to use propane for the gas fireplace. The propane also runs the boiler which heats the water for the in floor heat. Propane tanks can be buried so that you don't see them. Our propane tank was painted a light brown and camouflaged by honeysuckle bushes so it isn't obtrusive looking.

The free standing gas fireplace really saved us once when we had a blizzard and were without electric for 2 1/2 days. We were able to make coffee by setting the camp coffee pot on top of it. And coffee is important!! We were also able to warm soup etc. And it kept the living room bearable even tho a blizzard was raging outside.

Trying to do it all from scratch wouldn't be reasonable for us either, but I do like the idea of doing the finish work (at least some of it). Since it's just the 2 of us (with my DS visiting on occasion), we're thinking of 2 bedrooms/2 baths and a loft. Our old house was only 1300 and plenty big enough so something around that size.

Love the idea of warm floors too! Getting out of bed during these WY winters wouldn't be so painful, lol.

I love to build and wish that's how we had made our living. I've built all my chicken coops but hubby did help with the 12 x 16 henhouse. But tackling a log home was above my pay grade. :D I though that was best left to builders who knew what they were doing.

The in floor heat is good when getting out of bed. You know how hitting that cold bathroom tile floor just chills you to the bone. But it works just the opposite when the floors are warm. When your feet and legs are warm it doesn't take much to keep the rest of you warm. Heat rises so the warm floor keeps the whole room warm. You don't have the option of backing up to the fire to get your backside warm. That's where the gas fireplace does give you that option when you come in from taking care of the poultry on days like this. Just flick a switch and you have instant heat and flames to back up to. :celebrate

Great to know, Would love to see pics of your house @red horse ranch
@Welshies Do they have floor heating too?

I have been looking at this since back in the 1990's. Did loads of research back then, just starting to do research again since things have gotten better.
Really want to make sure that the logs are not treated with Chemicals due to health issues.

I always wondered about the Floor heating and if it was efficient enough for our Cold Winters.

I am not sure if they have in floor. I would ask but it's been a few years.
We live in Alberta. -20 to -40°C on average during winter.
A fireplace is a great thing to have in any home especially a log home. Fireplaces are fairly efficient and a cheaper way to heat up a home in a quick period of time or a power outage.

Now that it has been very cold we are finding the places between logs where the cold leaks in and plugging them.
We also are trying to deal with flying squirrels living in the roof .
But planning the green house and where to plant fruit trees is fun!

Wow, that is a lot of caulk, but now that I am thinking about it, maybe not. It isn't like caulking a bath tub :)

I love caulk, but only the clear that is Waterproof and expandable. Can't remember what kind that is but if holds on even if there is expansion .

Back
Top Bottom