Anyone make home made eggnog?

Ummm.
droolin.gif
I love egg nog. I usualluy can't wait until Christmas for it to come out in the store.

Earlier this year, I put some eggs into a cup, added sugar, milk and vanilla, thinking it was "unfrozen icecream" and a way to use up some eggs.
Then, I looked up an egg nog recipe online and found that the only thing I was lacking in my drink, was nutmeg spice.

CG

Oh wow! My mother used to make that as a snack for us as kids. Totally had forgotten she did this. I would love to make it again if I can find a way around the raw eggs. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Guys, eggnog does not necessarily mean raw eggs!
You can cook / pasteurize your homemade eggnog to kill off any possible salmonella (or whatever else) and feel good about it, and it does not affect the flavor!
Now, I have read that clean, home-grown, healthy eggs like we all here on BYC have are far less likely to harbor anything unsafe, but if you are in doubt, just cook it!
My mom used to even [usually, not always] cook/heat the "custard" before making homemade ice cream.
Just google "cooked eggnog" and recipes abound!
Here's one from Alton Brown: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html This recipe says to heat the egg mixture to 160 degrees, then chill, and voila, safe, healthy eggnog!!!
This page from foodsafetly.org also says that heating the egg/milk mixture of homemade eggnog to 160 will kill salmonella: http://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/eggnog.html
Merry Eggnog and Happy Christmas!!!

Although the salmonella risk is very low, you can reduce the risk by coddling the eggs before using raw.

Quote:
Imp

Last edited:
I did not like that recipe I linked to you all but I plan on trying another recipe after the Christmas chaos is over with. The texture just wasn't right and the flavor was not too special either.. It might be a personal error rather than a recipe error. I will check out Miss Prissy's recipe.

Back
Top Bottom