Anyone make their own Mayo? Here's a recipe to try.

We do. I do a whole egg recipe with duck eggs. My wife prefers a yolk only recipe w/ chicken eggs. Both tasty

OK, that's not quite my recipe, but it gets you in the right area. Duck eggs are so big the amount of oil needed changes, I do use lemon juice, not vinegar, and I use ground mustard, not prepared, as my emulsifier - so its a bit more work, but start with their recipe and modify to your liking.

Alton Brown has a recipe and method I can recommend as well.

We do. I do a whole egg recipe with duck eggs. My wife prefers a yolk only recipe w/ chicken eggs. Both tasty

OK, that's not quite my recipe, but it gets you in the right area. Duck eggs are so big the amount of oil needed changes, I do use lemon juice, not vinegar, and I use ground mustard, not prepared, as my emulsifier - so its a bit more work, but start with their recipe and modify to your liking.

Alton Brown has a recipe and method I can recommend as well.
Mine was quite yellow not white in color. I used olive oil as it was all I had. I also used lemon juice and prepared mustard. So, I can see why mine was a good yellow color. I also didn't even use all of the oil the recipe that I posted called for. I don't know why, it just seemed like a lot of oil to use. I was also thinking it would be a waste of for some reason i didn't like it.
For the first time making the mayo and most likely messing up, the recipe that I used turned out pretty good.

Real mayo is often a pale yellow, unlike the stuff in the jars.

Love making homemade mayo, it's pretty quick and can alter the ingredients depending on the use. Lemon juice, lime juice, red wine/ apple cider vinegar, different oils/ add ins, mustards, and the list goes on and on..

If you want it to stay longer, can whisk in a couple TBSPs of boiling water at the end. This will pasteurize the eggs, and stays good in the fridge for quite some time.

100% olive oil mayo will often have a bitter aftertaste.. if that bothers you, use a more neutral oil like canola or vegetable, avocado is good too but pricey. Can also mix different kinds of oils to your hearts content, mine is usually 50/50ish canola & olive, I don't measure anything though so can't really tell you for sure lol.

Last edited:
It really is hard to measure, the amount of oil you need depends on the size of the egg you use, and how much oil you want to emulsify in. You can usually take a yellow mayo more pale by whisking in yet more oil - and of course the whole egg recipe is lighter still because the whites allow you to incorporate even more air, for the same reason that whipped egg whites allow you to make a light and airy mouse...

Personally, I don't care for avocado oil - tastes too much like avocado to me, or EVOO which has a distinct green olive character. I've better luck with light olive oils, safflower oil, canola oil, etc. and I've yet to settle on a preferred acid - but if I plan to use the majority of the mayo in another recipe, say a macaroni or potato salad, I'll use the acid being used in the salad, most ofter red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, but even malt vinigar will work. So will rice wine vinegar, but its usually less acidic, so you may have to adjust the recipe in response.

Real mayo is often a pale yellow, unlike the stuff in the jars.

Love making homemade mayo, it's pretty quick and can alter the ingredients depending on the use. Lemon juice, lime juice, red wine/ apple cider vinegar, different oils/ add ins, mustards, and the list goes on and on..

If you want it to stay longer, can whisk in a couple TBSPs of boiling water at the end. This will pasteurize the eggs, and stays good in the fridge for quite some time.

100% olive oil mayo will often have a bitter aftertaste.. if that bothers you, use a more neutral oil like canola or vegetable, avocado is good too but pricey. Can also mix different kinds of oils to your hearts content, mine is usually 50/50ish canola & olive, I don't measure anything though so can't really tell you for sure lol.
I used a mild olive oil, so no bitterness. But, I use olive oil all the time so I'm used to the flavor. 😊

Back
Top Bottom