1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone make vanilla sugar?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by winstonsgrrrl, Nov 10, 2009.

1. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I made a couple of batches of vanilla sugar last night. It smells great, but I found that when I scraped the insides out of the vanilla beans, it kind of just clumped up in the sugar. How do I make sure it all get evenly dispersed?

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Hopefully someone will see this. I thought I saw something about that in the canning thread but that has been some months ago. Maybe if you search it, it might come up?

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    just keep shaking it around...

what a friend of mine does is just splits the bean and leaves it whole not scraping it out and it works well too and easy to pull the bean out when done

(on a side note i read the title quickly and this was what i read "anyone else make vodka" i did a double take fast...lol time for the eye doc again i think...)

4. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep, shaking it is the trick. I leave the bean, or whatever else I'm using, in the sugar. That way all you have to do is keep adding sugar to the jar. Just give it a few hard shakes before you use it. If it's clumpy, break it up into small bits with a fork and shake it like a 007 martini. [​IMG]

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I don't scrape the insides out, I just cut a small slit in the bean and stick the whole thing in the jar. Even the bean itself, without any seeds, will give sugar a wonderful vanilla flavor and aroma.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I use the vanilla bean "guts" for recipes, then just throw the leftover beans into a pot of sugar. Over time you'll get lovely vanilla sugar AND you won't waste the teensy beans, which can be used for other things.

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    most people throw the empty bean pods in the sugar after they use the seeds for something else

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by