Anyone mix different types of feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DiggsTheChick, Oct 18, 2018.

1. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    But the Country Lane All-Flock is really too low in protein for an All-Flock feed so comparing the chicks starter to the all-flock is not a good baseline.
    All-Flock feed is traditionally for someone with a variety of birds, like turkeys and ducks along with chickens, all of which require a higher protein than chickens.
    I think the protein for the chick-starter is about right and the all-flock is too low when you get down to the nitty-gritty.

WVduckchick and DiggsTheChick like this.
  2. DiggsTheChick

DiggsTheChick Chirping

Sep 19, 2018
    Benkelman, Nebraska
    I really like that my chicks feed is medicated, also I think my chickens do very well with it, they love it and I have not noticed any negative affects on the... they all look healthy and my hens lay good eggs. I guess to me I don't really see the point in switching if they do good with it. Maybe I don't know what negative affects to look for, do you have examples of how it would be bad for them?

KikisGirls likes this.
  3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    The medicated part of the feed is only to help prevent coccidiosis which it doesn't always do.
    The "medication" prevents the bird from absorbing thiamine and over using this "medicine" is likely to cause problems further down the road.

It is NOT meant to be feed more than the first few weeks of life.

I highly recommend that you stop feeding a medicated feed to laying hens.

DiggsTheChick likes this.
  4. DiggsTheChick

DiggsTheChick Chirping

Sep 19, 2018
    Benkelman, Nebraska
    I think there is some confusion, I do not feed that to my laying hens. I feed my laying hens and roosters layer pellets and feed the medicated grower/starter to my chicks I just got for fall.

KikisGirls likes this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Thank you for clarifying.

6. DiggsTheChick

DiggsTheChick Chirping

Sep 19, 2018
    Benkelman, Nebraska
    No problem, you said its should be fed the first few weeks of life, well my chicks are about a month old do I need to get them a non medicated feed now?

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    I had some cockerels that gave a few of my hens a hard time, they all had bare backs. I rehomed the cockerels and switched to Nutrena NatureWise Feather Fixer, and they are all so beautiful now! It really does work. And now that my whole flock is molting, I am still feeding it, and they are molting so quickly! I love it! :)

DiggsTheChick and WVduckchick like this.
  8. jolenesdad

jolenesdad Crowing

Apr 12, 2015
    Montgomery, TX
    @KikisGirls so I guess the question is.... after you have done all this research... sounds like you feed nutrena?

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: