Anyone mix their own feed for their ducks?

Kholts

Songster
Feb 11, 2019
Canada
I’m looking to start mixing my own feed.

I have a small flock of 4 ducks & 1 Drake. They are still in prime egg laying age & ideally this is why I have them. Right now it is winter & they are not laying but obviously come spring I’ll up their calcium.

Just wondering for those who mix what are you mixing & why?

I would like to know what everyone mixes as well. I was buying a soy free chicken layer feed but it was 18% protein and one of my ducks kept laying double yokes. I read that this could mean too much protein, so now I mix in whole oats and BOS. None of the eggs I got today are double yokes.

keep giving them supplements to keep the girls healthy, but don’t encourage them (don’t supplement light) to lay eggs right now because you want them to have a break as long as possible to stay healthy

Oh haha let me clear things up. I’m not switching to a mixed feed for them to lay more. I’m doing it to save money (get more lbs per $).

I was just saying I have ducks to lay eggs mostly not to put meat on their bones to eat. I understand they take breaks & I do not supplement light. Due to not laying they shouldn’t need excess calcium. That’s all I meant.

The lady who I got my ducks from mixed their feed, so when I first got them I did too and used her 'recipe'. But after a month or two I switched to actual ducks feed or sometimes all flock.

Back
Top Bottom