anyone need an extra owl

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ga_goat, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    right at dusk tonight I was shutting all my chicken houses and a small owl flew into the house next door to the one I was closing ,
    I reached over the fence and shut the door now the owl is a chicken ,, the house was empty , I was cleaning it out for some BCM's next weekend . he's raising sand in there but it's built tight enough to keep him out so it should keep him in . by morning he probably would never come back here , from his size he's probably this years hatch .

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    heh, i don't think you will have many issues with mice in that coop after his 'visit'! [​IMG]

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    LOL Already said this on the other owl thread that is up tonight, but send all your owls my way. I love them dearly and all my birds are inside and safe. [​IMG]

4. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I cautiously opened the hen house door this morning and the young owl came out and flew off ,, it looked like a 5 pound dove , never seen an owl fly that fast or straight .

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Darn you I was gonna trade you my pair of GH owls for your little Owl [​IMG]

6. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Sounds like he put on his "bat-out-of-hell" suit and streaked away!!!!! Imagine his surprise when he couldn't get out yesterday! I hope he learns never to come back. Even though Owls are natural enemies of the chickens, they are still magnificently beautiful birds and I love them. I hope you got some pictures of him. God bless you for setting him free.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There ARE a few pint-sized owls, so unless you identified his species as a larger one, he might have been an adult, but one of the little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by