Anyone NOT free feed?

ChickenMamaC

Songster
5 Years
Jun 6, 2018
Rose Valley, WA
I'm looking for advice on switching from free feeding to an AM feed only. I'm mainly considering this due to an ongoing mouse problem. How do you know how much to give, and can my flock thrive like this? I have nine hens ranging from a little silver spangled hamburg to some large brahmas.

I don't free feed because I wanted to encourage foraging more in my flock, also my pullets are little piggies and were getting a little too plump lol. I open the feeders for about 1 hour in the morning to ensure that even the lowest pecking order girls are eating well. Then about 20 minutes in the afternoon and and 30-45 minutes before bedtime.

I do not free feed, once my birds are out of the brooder box and the grow out pen.

My flock (see below in sig) free ranges on the property, all day long. I feed them once, in the evening, to ensure they go to bed with full crops - and are then eager to free range in the AM.

How much to feed them took a bit to dial in. I started at 1/4# dry weight per bird, then slowly lowered it until I found a good balance between them demanding more/gobbling it all in one-two minutes and them walking away with uneaten food left in piles. Then keep watching, because it does vary seasonally - not a lot for me due to my climate - but I understand its more pronounced for those further north.

I do not free feed, once my birds are out of the brooder box and the grow out pen.

My flock (see below in sig) free ranges on the property, all day long. I feed them once, in the evening, to ensure they go to bed with full crops - and are then eager to free range in the AM.

How much to feed them took a bit to dial in. I started at 1/4# dry weight per bird, then slowly lowered it until I found a good balance between them demanding more/gobbling it all in one-two minutes and them walking away with uneaten food left in piles. Then keep watching, because it does vary seasonally - not a lot for me due to my climate - but I understand its more pronounced for those further north.
Thanks! Yes-- my girls range during the day too. I'm in Santa Fe, NM so it's pretty sunny year round but definitely cold in the winter. Afternoon feeding is a good suggestion.

I choose just before sun down (being semi-retired, I'm not a slave to the clock as I once was) as an incentive to get them to come back to the run - and except in absolutely terrible weather, I leave the coop door open. Like you, I enjoy a nice climate. Should be 26 - 28 here tonight. My birds won't notice at all.

I feed fermented chicken feed once per day, typically in the evenings. Birds like to go to bed with a full crop so that the food digests while they sleep and keeps them warm.

When feeding only in the evenings, I notice that the chickens are more active and forage more during the day.

And don't worry, the chickens will adjust fast to a non-free feeding style. They are tough.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom