Anyone on here trap nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantiesrule, Nov 15, 2009.

1. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    I was wondering about trap nesting so I can see which hens are laying which eggs but I won't be able to go check on them all the time. Will the hens go back on the nests if they get trapped in there for a couple of hours? Or will they end up going broody if they can't get off the nest? Does anybody have a different way of collecting special eggs?

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Locking them on the nest wont make them broody, but it will make them pissy.... [​IMG]

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    If you are trying to tell which bird is laying you could always drip some food coloring on their vents (diff colors for all the girls). The next eggs they lay will be slightly 'tinted'.

Better plan than trapping them on the nest imo... my girls wouldn't stand for that kind of thing [​IMG]

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I am not sure that would work of Marans and Wellsummers. Its important to be able to tell what color your dark egger hens are laying so you can select for it. I think some breeders are trying to use trap nest or at least trying to design them.

5. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Quote:Would you have to do that every day? Or would the color last a few days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by