Anyone out there with Cayugas?

Kaolru

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I have two Cayugas currently. A year-old drake, and a month-old hen. They are currently separated due to my drake's aggression and my hen's leg injury. Due to unfortunate and recent events, in a matter of two days I lost one young hen and my adult hen. Weirdly enough the two events were completely unrelated, but happened within days of one another. Now the young one is missing her buddy, and my drake is very lonely.
I am really looking to find a hen for him, since he can't be in with my younger one until she is a bit older and has recovered from her injury. He still lays near her by the fence though, so hopefully they will bond in some way.
If anyone has a hen they could part with, or know of anyone who has one for sale, that would be great.

I'm new to this forum, so I can't post in the Wanted sub-forum yet, but I was told I should post here too.
smile.png

I had a cayuga drake that was very agressive too... I had to get rid of him, cause he often injured my other ducks....
But my female cayuga has paired off with my crested buff....

Don't have Cayugas, but am considering getting some. I like that they are supposed to be a quiet bird. However, I'm concerned about weather, as I hear they are a northern bird and I'm in the hottest part of NC.

Anyone keep Cayugas in the South?

Quote:
Yes where abouts are you? I've got 2 Cayuga drakes and 1 Cayuga duck who I'm willing to re-home. Not too pricey either- I'd take a bag of feed for all 3 of them if they are picked up. I'm in NJ near Pa. Is that near you?

Quote:
I live in Florida and have a Cayuga hen and a Runner drake. She seems to be doing just fine, and LOVES to swim even though I only have a tiny kiddie pool for her. She just started laying a few days ago, and I've gotten one egg a day for the past 4 days. She seems to be very healthy. Both ducks do some panting during the hottest part of the day, but as long as they have lots of cool water I wouldn't be too worried. The high is supposed to hit 100 today!! And it's only the first day of summer!

Meee i keep i cayuga drake (still a duckling) in oklahoma. I just keep a ppol out for them until they go to bed. And make like ice treats and stuff for them.

Sorry, I keep forgetting to post my location. I wish I lived closer to you Chickenlisa. I do live in PA, but it's in the west central area.
I would really like to keep with the Cayugas, but I'm starting to consider other breeds as well. I just don't want him to be lonely. He's actually not that aggressive, it's just he's had it out for those babies since we got them. They weren't his after all and they just appeared, so when this hen is old enough he'll warm up to her quickly. I'd just like another hen to get him through until then.

Back
Top Bottom