Anyone Own Blackbelly Sheep?

Quote:
well, they are cheap enough (at least the $75 ones are) so if you like them, get one. Maybe if your goats are really tame and he hangs out with them he will tame down too. Mine have each other so they don't need me at all. They are perfectly content to keep their distance. They really are beautiful animals.

my goats are under my feet when im outside. i literally trip over them if im not careful..
i was hoping the young ones were the $75 and would figure out im not a tall monster

Our Barbados have started to have their babies now. We had 6 born on new years night. When they are weaning age we will be selling some. They usually will bring around $70-$80. They do great with my nubian goats too until yesterday when the ram got in a fight with my buck. The buck ended up with a bloody nose. Right now I am bottle feeding a barbado/katahdin cross baby ram.

Last edited:
We have a few Barbados mixed into with our Desert Painted flock

1sheep-1.jpg

And some in another pasture:
1barbsheep1.jpg

While we have several breeds of sheep, the hair sheep are easy maintian and quite hardy, I like the wool sheep we have, but I hate shearing sheep.

Quote:
That depends on what you expect from a pet. People keep tarantulas as pets, and many people would say they don't make good pets. Obviously a sheep or a tarantula isn't going to play fetch, but if one is keeping the animal and has realistic wxpectations of how it will behave, then it could be a good pet for them. Sheep are more intelligent than we give them credit for. There are videos of them doing things that have been clicker trained, etc. Being flock animals, they can form strong bonds to people in the absence of a flock (or even with a flock given the right attention). There are a few breeds that are used as pets often, like the southdown babydoll.

Quote:
*BUZZ* wrong!
tongue2.gif
lol Sheep make EXCELLENT pets. Just ask all of my ginormus moochey walking woolies! Espically bottle fed
smile.png
Like Watchdogs said, there are different breeds. Our Shetlands are excellent pets, most will eat grain out of your hand at the very least, at the most basically tackle you for a scratch, and then wag their tail at you while you pet them
smile.png
Even with a flock, a lot of shepherds have one or two that are more "pets" than the others.

Spectrumranch - your painted boy is gorgeous! Love looking at your website
smile.png

SarahFair - Being you already have goats, I would suggest just staying with goats, as they're fun too! Goats require more copper in their diets than sheep, and depending on the breed you get (some can tolerate more copper than others), you could possibly end up with copper toxicity if you throw a sheep in your flock. If you're really set on a sheep, maybe call around and visit a few breeders in your area so you can get a feel on different breeds. That pattern that the barbados have isn't just in that breed, Shetlands have it, Icelandics, CVMs, etc. if that's the color you're set on even.

My experience with a black belly (she wasn't registered, so don't know which type for sure)...Oi vey.... My mom fell in love with this bred girl at an auction, so we came home with her. Never could touch her, and she always had a wild, flighty look in her eye. Probably came from a range flock. Anyway, one day we go out to feed and she's just gone. Just vanished! No tracks, no hair, nothing, so we assume the worst, that wolves got in and got her or something of that sort. A week goes by. Oh look, what is that on the neighbors tree line across our pasture, across our fence? There's proud momma on the edge of the woods with a little baby girl. LOL. Took HOURS to herd her home. Never again. lol.

~Rayna~

I think I might pick one up if the price is right.. but how is their temperament?
Are they extremely shy or can you calm them on down?
I know this is an old post! But my husband and I raise Barbados blackbelly sheep and I have to disagree with half of the comments here. Just like any sheep, if you get them as adults of older lambs they will be scared and skittish. Buying one that has been handled well or even bottle bed is the way to go for a pet. We have to bottle feed about one a year because this breed is known for producing triplets and we supplement the milk for them. They are the sweetest and friendliest things. They learn their name and follow up everywhere, even free range around the yard. We are always open to selling bottle babies for a lower price and are even willing to handle lambs more if we know someone is looking for a pet! Please reach out anytime with questions or thoughts! :) [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom