Anyone owned by Great Pyrenees?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CarolinaGirl, May 30, 2008.

1. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    I'm going to look at some 10 week old Pyre pups tomorrow... We're having coyote issues, and though the pup will be of no help for now, down the road, I'd love to have a great livestock guardian.

However, is this a good choice? I've been reading excessively about them but I still get nervous. I hear a million great stories about them but then I find the one story of the Pyre who killed a goat or chicken, etc... I'm guessing this is due to lack of training. Is 10 weeks too old to introduce to the goats? The mother guards their goats but she was taken in to the barn away from it all while the pups have been small. Also, the mother isn't overly fond of chickens but she wasn't raised with them.

Now their father guards their chickens faithfully plus the pups have been exposed to peeps and adult chickens.

Would you introduce him (only males left) to the buckling or start with my herd of adults?

Experiences? Advice? Even after reading so much, I'd still like someone to sort of hold my hand and tell me this is a good investment, though I feel like it is.

2. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
  3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

had a great Pyrenees and anatolian shepard sorry probably mispelled. He was huge. Only problem he wouldn't stay in with the sheep and he liked cars a little to much. Found him by the road about 2 years ago dead.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    We have a 10 wk old pyr puppy and just LOVE LOVE LOVE her!

She came out of working parents who were trained with goats.

Here's a true story about how protective they can be...

The guy who we got our pup from noticed the mamma dog (pups were already weaned, she was in her pen alone) with a baby rabbit. Figured she'd found it out in the pasture when she had been let out to run earlier in the day and didn't think much of it - figured they'd get it away from her (assumed it was dead) when they fed the dogs later that evening.

Anyway, when evening came and it was time to feed the dog, he went in to get the dead baby bunny away from her. That's when he got two shocks...

First, it wasn't a wild rabbit, it was one of his flemish giants. They had babies and he didn't realize that A) they were old enough to start leaving the nest and B) the cage floor was so small they could fall through.

Secondly, IT WAS STILL ALIVE! She had been caring for the baby all day long. He took the kit, placed it back with the mamma rabbit and it's doing fine to this day!

That's how protective and sweet they can be.

I have to say that Lily (our pup) is already learning that the chickens are NOT toys - a lot of pups her size would just go after them, but she sort of follows them around sniffing them. I don't trust her 100% with them yet so I don't leave her out unsupervised when the chickens are out, but so far so good - she's definately not an agressive dog towards the birds or other animals.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have GP/Anatilian mix and love themI trust them and have had them since they were weaned. When we first got the 2 they did chase as they were young. A sharp NO usually stops them. I separated them at 6 mths to put in different pens. I left eh female in with my does and the male went to the buck pen. I got 2 more about 5 mths ago and they are doing good and when they are separate they dont bother the chickens. When my first 2 were together they did eat chickens. When the other pair got old enough I separated them and have the female in with does and the male in with my weanling does. They are doing wonderful. I socialize mine with ouot family and close friends but when someone comes to see goat they are not allowed in the pens without us. Mine are wonderful and I dont know what I would do with out them. My oldest females just yesterday a doe was kidding and so I put her in with the other female. Well the doe was screaming and Beauty jumped the 5 ft cattle panel to see what was wrong with her doe. They are very protective believe me and bond very well. She is a great hinney cleaner also for the babies and if momma is yelling for them she helps very gently by taking the baby to momma, Champ loves being in with the bucks and Mia is doing good with my other does. and Little Max he was the runt of the litter is doing real good with the doelings. They learn really fast. I personally love the mixes, and have people waiting for pups from my dogs when I breed them. It just makes you feel safer knowing they are watching out for their goats.

6. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Florida Chick, your Pyres are beautiful!

I'm still wanting to get one... however, I'm not looking at the litter tomorrow. There were things the lady said that just doesn't set well with me. In fact, I got a sort of sick feeling thinking about picking him up tomorrow.

But keep telling me about your Pyrenees babies, I'm still searching... Just not these guys. I want a female and I want one with badger coloring. I was settling for a white boy. Not that I don't love whites, I just fell in love with a badger marked girly a while ago. Plus, this lady just didn't know her dogs well to me.

Thanks so much for telling me about your guys. Arlee453, don't you have a badger marked girly?

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have a female that has the badger face and 1 that dont ...my males its the same way. Mine are very good dogs and I dont even worry when my 2 grandsons go into the goat pen and play as the dogs are good to them and know not to jump on them. Also when they are out there the dogs watch them very well. Very protective if raised right. Good luck in your search...dont just get a dog get the dog you like and have a feeling about...that is what I did and they are great.

8. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Hi, where are you located? If your close I have connections. LOL [​IMG] I am in North FL

9. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I have a Pyr who came from an awesome bloodline of both working and show dogs.

[​IMG]

This is him a few months ago. He's gotten bigger since then--he's about 11 months old now.

They take training to be good with chickens. The local ag school extension folks told me to train him with chickens that were, uh, disposable, and this was a good idea because he killed two roosters and pulled some feathers out of a hen who dissed his authority. He has since learned that the chickens are MINE and he is to LAY DOWN when in their presence. He's very good with the smallish baby chicks, actually, just not so much with older roos who give him attitude. He is a very good guard dog, and keeps the barn possum-free when he's on duty. Mostly it was just a matter of waiting for him to grow up and get old enough to be less playful and hyperactive. Now he's a speed bump half the day.

Personally I would start the dog with adult goats. That way he learns that goats are not to be trifled with.

Why don't you like the breeder? I know when I was researching breeders, the one who had puppies for sale as working dogs gave me the Spanish Inquisition about my house, my yard, the chickens, etc. to make sure he was going to be treated well and trained appropriately. And she was a bit of a Crazy Dog Lady. A bit, well, she was a seriously crazy dog lady, but I think that goes with being a professional dog breeder of show dogs.

10. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    when they are puppies they will act like other puppies. i have a pyr/anatolian mix and while he is still a puppy he is the best guard dog of the five dogs i have. lets see, when he was just a few months old a stray dog came up the drive and he ran into a field and barked and barked till it left. my other dogs just stood around looking at each other. coyotes came through the area the other night (he's probably almost 6mos now) and he was the only dog that woke up and ran the perimeter barking like crazy. my sniffy dog slept through the whole thing. now for the bad. he has helped kill a chicken or two but not until one of the other dogs already had it. lately when the other dogs go near the chickens and ducks he growls at them and fights. i don't mean aggressive fighting just a nip and roll and they all run off. i was really surprised when he did that. haven't lost any chickens since though. they improve with age but i have heard of some that don't do their job. the younger they start the better. i have no regrets about mine even while he's getting the puppy worked out of him. supervision is key with the pups. i'm sure some need more work than others. oh and i'm sure othes will agree they are big fluffy sweeties when they aren't fighting the bad guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by