Anyone process Cornish X when they need them?

Cyberous

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Hollister, CA (Nor Cal)
I have eight Cornish X and was thinking instead of processing them all at once, I can process one a week or on an as needed basis. Right now they are only 3 weeks so I do have some time before I start this process.

I read on here that most of you have large flocks and make it a "Process" that makes total sense, but what if you only have a few?

I think it would help on freezer space.

Anyone do this?

Also I've read here that a two day wait is good for the best tast/feeling bird. Does it have to be a brine or can it just rest in the frig?

I will probably start at week 7 with the largest one.

Thank you,

Don

I think the biggest drawback is having to pull out everything you need to butcher and pluck the bird every time you want chicken on your supper table. You would have to heat up a large pot of water every time to scald the bird as well as clean up the mess you make. I think most people find it much easier to do them all at once (plus it takes less time per bird overall).

As far as the resting in the fridge, I'v heard to let them rest 2-3 days. You could brine the last 24 hrs. in seasoned salt water for the best taste.
smile.png

That's just what we are going to do. a few at a time.

Resting is important. I made the mistake of not and we had a tough chicken. (my first one)

I don't know if you seen this thread...it helped me... Good luck!!

cooked a freshly culled bird...too tough ...

(sorry, not sure why you can't just click on that...Just copy and paste into the search at the top right...)

We processed ours between 8-12 weeks and none of them died. They were all delicious
droolin.gif
I would much rather do them all at once. It's a lot of work by yourself unless you have family to help you. We usually make it a weekend chore.

Thanks for the good feedback, yea one at a time might be a lot of work, Maybe I might do 3,3,2? I just don't want to get rid of them all at once since they still will have growth opportunities.

-Homesteading_Bound - Yes your post was very VERY informitive and helpful... Thank you for posting that. Its some thing I would have never guessed.

Don

I process by myself, and prefer to do 2 or three at a time. My equipment is minimal and only takes a few minutes to set up. The longest wait is for the water to heat, (unless I'm skinning them) and since I change the water after every 3rd or 4th bird...
I leave them in the fridge for 2 days then bag and tag. As for the heart attacks, last year I sent my cx boys to 'freezer camp' at 16-20 weeks, because they were trying to breed the hens. The hens started laying at 16 weeks, and I butchered the last of them at 8 monthes of age, when they stopped laying and didn't look...as happy?...as they had. They were still extremely tender and HUGE. 14# carcass weights on the girls. The boys were 10-14#, but younger. Hope this helps! Karla

I say do them at once mostly cause they are really a lot of work. Also since you only have like 8 then that is maybe 3 4 at the most gallon freezer bags and one 50 gallon cooler. I did 12 rabbits this weekend and they all fit into 50 gallon cooler for brining.

Thanks Karla,.. thats very usefull info!!
clap.gif

Now I'm thinking I will do 2,2,2,2... I can't imagine a 14# bird (cool)

I remeber butchering them with the grandparents as a kid and don't rember it being too difficult. They only butchered 1, and I don't ever remember them "aging",.. I'll have to call my grand mother to get the details. She is old but still very smart and in tune
wee.gif

Don

You may find that after 8 weeks the feed to meat ratio does not work very well. $ wise I would say do them all at once.

12 Birds / day is my limit that I am happy with.

Back
Top Bottom