anyone quarter up there cornish cross meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by redneck4life27, Oct 13, 2012.

1. redneck4life27

redneck4life27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Northern ny
    Just did 6 meaties 2 days ago and let set in the fridge for 2 day and quarterd them up into wings, legs, skinless breast, thighs, and making broth and canned chicken with the carcasses. Ive done the whole birds and there amazing just trying something different. Would like replys.

2. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    This is almost exactly the way I butcher them, except no broth and I throw the carcasses to the wild animals.

3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    The FR's we raised in the spring I left as whole carcasses. However, I've learned our freezer is HIGHLY efficient - it takes 2+ days for the birds to thaw in the fridge! Must plan dinners carefully with this type of situation!

Consequently, I'm going to quarter and possibly de-bone the CX we're raising now. This way, if I want to create a faster chicken dinner, it'll be ready when the inspiration is! The whole birds are great for roasting and taking to larger gatherings (we have weekly fellowship at church) - but I find we don't really eat roast chicken as a family. Now, chicken fingers; chicken & dumplings; garlic-lemon grilled chicken - yes, those we eat as a family! But for those, I need chicken pieces - not whole.

Yes, I've thawed a chicken, quartered it or deboned it and used it for the above for family. Somehow, it just seems a bit more like work to me.

And the broth freezes for soup so very well! I'm actually looking forward to the first family cold this season! Homemade goodies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by